Website Manitoba Association of Playwrights
Job Posting: Executive Director
503-100 Arthur Street Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 1H3 www.mbplays.ca
The Manitoba Association of Playwrights is a professional, provincially recognized non- profit arts organization that has supported playwrights and playwriting in the Manitoba theatre community for 38 years.
With the upcoming retirement of Artistic Director Rory Runnells who has led MAP for the past 34 years, The Manitoba Association of Playwrights seeks a dynamic Executive Director to join the organization and further its role as a vital part of the theatrical community in Manitoba. The successful candidate will be a self-starting, highly motivated and enthusiastic champion of playwriting and new play development. The Executive Director will work to fulfill the vision and mandate of MAP and lead the organization to new levels of achievement.
MAP nurtures excellence in Manitoba play creation and production. We do this through championing Manitoba plays locally, nationally and internationally; building connections and community; and providing resources and support to professional play creators at all stages of their career.
Community: MAP creates a community of playwrights who are connected with each other, the theatre community, and the community at large.
Creativity: MAP respects the vision and process of the creative artist.
Diversity: MAP nurtures and supports writers who reflect the full scope of Manitoba’s people, geography, and artistic processes.
Excellence: MAP seeks and nurtures excellence in all of our programming.
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and works collaboratively with them on developing artistic programming, financial management and strategic planning for the organization. Responsibilities include:
- Assessing and identifying potential plays and playwrights
- Developing plans and courses of dramaturgy and professional development for playwrights; planning and executing such programs both within Winnipeg and in communities outside of Winnipeg
- Identifying and building key relationships with professional theatres and other play development organizations, and serving as a voice for playwrights within the Manitoba and Canadian theatre community
- Producing public readings and events as outreach and development in Manitoba
- Ensuring the development of a diverse playwriting community
- Managing resources, including volunteers, to ensure a successful outcome of events and programming
- Developing and implementing the annual budget, preparing annual and project- based grants and reports to funders
- Developing fundraising, marketing and promotional strategies
- Overseeing and developing MAP’s website and other means of communicating with the community, including social media
- Collaborating with the Board in establishing long-term vision and goals for the organization
The successful candidate will possess:
- A compelling vision for MAP, and ability to translate MAP’s Mission and Values into achievable goals, strategies and plans in a fiscally responsible manner
- A strong understanding of playwriting and the playwright’s creative process, including skills in dramaturgy and experience in play production — in particular, first productions of new plays
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and strong computer skills including some website maintenance abilities
- Demonstrated sound fiscal management, experience in producing events
- Exceptional relationship-building and team-building skills
- Knowledge of the not-for-profit professional arts sector, and ability to develop and expand key relationships and alliances with artists, funding organizations, sponsors, donors, partner organizations and community leaders
- Imagination, energy, motivation and a strong desire to succeed
- A post-secondary degree is a strong asset
The Executive Director will be encouraged and expected to further his/her professional development by attending relevant productions, workshops, classes, meetings and conferences, as approved by the Board of Directors.
The MAP offices are based in Winnipeg. The successful candidate will be required to reside in the Province of Manitoba.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. This is a full-time position.
Please submit a letter of interest and CV by email to The Search Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Executive Director Search Committee
It is requested that materials be submitted as PDFs (preferred) or Word documents only.
The closing date for applications is Friday March 31, 2017.
If you have any questions, or require clarification regarding this posting, please email: email@example.com
We thank everyone who applies for their interest but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications will remain confidential and will be carefully reviewed and assessed by the Search Committee in accordance with the criteria above.