Nightwood Theatre is seeking a full time Head of Development who has a deep passion and interest in performing arts and intersectional feminism. The successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, development and implementation of Nightwood Theatre’s fundraising strategies. This position is supported with the equivalent of a quarter time staff person. This position is ideal for an individual who is comfortable approaching and building relationships with people they don’t know and asking them for financial support. They are organized, thrive on challenges, have strong collaboration and interpersonal skills and are motivated to reach the financial goals put in place in collaboration with the Managing Director, Artistic Director and Development Committee.
- Is capable of navigating different personalities and respects the different ways in which people prefer to receive their communications and information.
- Exceptional people skills to deal effectively with different stakeholders.
- Proven writing skills for crafting compelling donor letters, appeals, invitations and other communications.
- Excellent and engaging phone communication skills.
- Shows initiative and is able to meet deadlines and handle concurrent projects, with a strong track record of fulfilling commitments.
- Thrives working both independently and as a team member.
- Has the ability to learn how to use data management systems, record-keeping systems and tax receipt procedures and requirements.
- Possesses the ability to learn the financial management skills required for this position (including departmental budgeting and tracking).
- Demonstrates a high proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) / Google Suite apps (Sheets, Docs, Slides). Familiarity with Mac operating system and working knowledge of Sumac is an asset, but is not required.
- Detail-oriented record keeping.
- Interest in and capacity to learn about laws, regulations and ethical principles relevant to this position.
- The envisioning and execution of Nightwood’s seasonal Individual Giving and Corporate Campaigns, involving prospecting, acquisition, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Researching, qualifying, soliciting, acquiring and stewarding corporate and foundation support.
- Overseeing and implementing special fundraising and appreciation events.
- Overseeing development activities as they relate to Nightwood’s main fundraising event, The Lawyer Show, including working with the Lawyer Show Committee to solicit, acquire and steward the silent auction, sponsors and ad sales.
- Ensuring the timely completion of tax receipts, in accordance with Canadian Revenue Agency legislation, including recording all donations and stewarding member benefits.
- Working with Nightwood Theatre’s Development Committee to coordinate their assistance in order to ensure the annual objectives of the fundraising department are met.
- Providing financial reports as it relates to fundraising events and donor solicitation.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working 40 hours per week. Flexible working hours are provided. There will be requirements to work flextime with evening and weekend work, as the position demands.
Salary: $42,000 – $48,000 annually, plus benefits.
How to Apply
Nightwood Theatre is an equal-opportunity employer, and we believe that our organization is stronger when we have a team that reflects our country’s diversity. Nightwood is committed to creating spaces that are trans inclusive and that recognize a multitude of intersectional identities, which include race, ability, sexual orientation, age, and gender identity among others. We encourage candidates of numerous intersectionalities to apply.
Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest and resume no later than 11:59 pm ET on May 2, 2021. Please apply by EMAIL to email@example.com re: Head of Development. Alternatively, applicants can leave a voice message at 416-944-1740 extension 3 to arrange an alternative method of submission. For any questions regarding this position, please contact Beth Brown, Managing Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.