Created in 1961 by UNESCO, World Theatre Day is celebrated annually on March 27 by theatre communities around the globe. The impetus behind World Theatre Day is to honour and further the goal of UNESCO’s International Theatre Institute (ITI) to celebrate the power of theatre to serve as an indispensable bridge-builder for mutual international understanding and peace as well as to promote and protect cultural diversity and identity in communities throughout the world.
Since 2011, PACT, together with l’Association des théâtres francophones du Canada (ATFC) and the Playwrights Guild of Canada (PGC), has commissioned a message each year to promote and celebrate World Theatre Day from a distinctly Canadian perspective.
In 2018, this message has been written by Nina Lee Aquino and translated into French by Djennie Laguerre.
Nina Lee Aquino is an award-winning director and dramaturge. She is the current Artistic Director of Factory Theatre.
Nina is the editor of Canada’s first Asian-Canadian 2-volume drama anthology love + relasianships and the co-editor of the award-winning New Essays on Canadian Theatre Volume One: Asian Canadian Theatre (Playwrights Canada Press).
Awards for her work include: the Ken McDougall Award 2004, the Canada Council John Hirsch Prize 2008, and two Dora Mavor Moore Awards for Outstanding Direction.
Nina Lee Aquino’s message has also been translated into the following languages:
- French (translated by Djennie Laguerre)
- Mohawk (translated by Ryan DeCaire)
- Plains Cree (translated by wintranslation)
- Arabic (translated by Majdi Bou-Matar and Nada Humsi)
- Chinese (translated by Echo Zhou)
- Chuabo (translated by Pulga Muchochoma)
- Farsi (translated by Sina Gilani)
- Filipino (translated by Nina Lee Aquino and Cecilio and Amelita Aquino)
- Hindi (translated by Kamla Arora and Jagan Shah)
- Jamaican Nation Language (translated by Sashoya Shoya Oya)
- Japanese (translated by Sakiko Nagai)
- Korean (translated by Michelle Cho)
- Spanish (translated by Augusto Bitter)
- Twi (translated by Tawiah Ben M’Carthy)