ASSOCIATE DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
Young People’s Theatre (YPT), in its 55th Season in 2020.21, is the oldest professional theatre company in Toronto and the largest theatre for young audiences in Canada. When running at capacity, in a non-pandemic year, we typically produce and present an 8-play season with an audience of approximately 85,000 and arts education activity serving over 100,000. Housed in a renovated historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 458-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio, as well as operating a year-round Drama School in four locations. YPT’s operating budget is approximately $5 million and the recently launched Room for Imagination expansion project is a $10.5 million comprehensive campaign to expand and improve YPT’s entire complex. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily day time) encourages ingenuity, team-work and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.
YPT is currently searching for a candidate to fill the full-time position of Associate Development Officer, reporting to the Director of Development. The Associate Development Officer will play a key role in the Development Department by providing vital organizational support for the Room for Imagination capital campaign, as well as managing a small portfolio of donors and prospects. The Associate Development Officer will work closely with Development team members, ensuring department files and database are accurate, creating strategic fundraising materials, and assisting with the production and execution of fundraising events.
Please note that during the current public health crisis, YPT staff are all working from home. As soon as the Toronto Public Health and appropriate government agencies deem it safe to do so, the position will resume its regular location at the theatre offices, but this will not likely happen until later in 2021.
- Organize and maintain the accuracy of ongoing solicitations for Room for Imagination, and prepare campaign reports as requested by the Director of Development;
- Identify new prospects by mining the database and external sources, analyze donor and prospect data, and recommend best solicitation approach;
- Develop clear and concise prospect research profiles, for both annual and Room for Imagination campaigns;
- Responsible for the development and implementation of donor recognition plans, which may include special acknowledgements, plaques, signage, and/or event announcements;
- Manage a small portfolio of donors and prospects, with a focus on Room for Imagination;
- Collaborate with the Development team in preparing compelling and strategic fundraising materials including proposals, ongoing updates to Room for Imagination materials, etc;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date donor database records and issue receipts;
- Track donations and pledges, via various channels, on a regular basis and work with the Development team to determine solicitation and stewardship plans;
- Other duties as assigned by the Director and Associate Director of Development.
- University degree/fundraising certificate or equivalent work experience in a not-for-profit organization;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Organized and meticulous attention-to-detail with an interest in the arts/arts education;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with donors, Board members, volunteers, staff and the general public in an efficient, tactful and friendly manner;
- Ability to work independently (especially while we are working remotely) but also able to work effectively in a team environment;
- Enthusiasm for YPT’s mission and values, as well as fundraising;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and knowledge of fundraising databases;
- Maintain the highest ethical standards in keeping with legal and generally accepted professional practices;
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
In accordance with YPT’s policy and as a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to pass a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Screening Check.
Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment which includes accommodation. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and people with disabilities and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email resumes and cover letters in one file to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Associate Development Officer position”
Applications for consideration must be received by Friday, May 21, 2021.
YPT thanks all applicants but will respond only to those selected for an interview
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.