Young People’s Theatre (YPT) launches the next stage in the company’s 57-year history, co-led by Indigenous artist and new Artistic Director Herbie Barnes, and Executive Director Nancy Webster. This new era also marks the unveiling of YPT’s expanded and renovated theatre complex, more than 10 years in the making. As Canada’s largest and oldest professional theatre for young audiences, the company produces and presents a full season of theatre and arts education programming, serving approximately 150,000 patrons annually. With the purchase of a multi-use building across the street from its historic theatre, YPT has expanded its footprint, increased its accessibility, refreshed its lobbies, and upgraded the theatrical equipment capabilities of its 450-seat Ada Slaight Stage and 115-seat Studio. United in vision, the two facilities now anchor the corner of Front and Frederick streets in downtown Toronto creating Canada’s largest theatre complex for young people. With its broad-ranging educational programs and exceptional productions, the company has an annual operating budget of approximately $5 million. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily daytime) encourages ingenuity, teamwork, and an atmosphere of learning. In fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do.
YPT is currently seeking a Patron Services Manager. Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the ideal candidate is a leader in customer service, an enthusiastic relationship builder, and is passionate about the arts. You will be instrumental in developing exciting new ways of engaging our audiences with YPT’s newly expanded and renovated theatre spaces. This is a full-time position starting as soon as possible. Please note that at the present time due to ongoing health and safety measures, most staff work remotely, with in-office work as needed.
The Patron Services Manager is an integral member of the Marketing team, managing the Box Office and Front of House (FOH) operations toward creating an exceptional customer service experience, optimizing revenue, and growing and engaging audiences. Of note, YPT is unique in that we serve an audience that equally encompasses both public patrons and schools.
- Manage the Box Office and Front of House operations and staff;
- Develop and implement Box Office and FOH programs, policies, procedures and budgets, aligning with overall revenue goals;
- Plan and implement a comprehensive concessions strategy that elevates the FOH experience, delights patrons, builds partnerships, and aligns with revenue goals;
- Deliver an efficient ticketing experience;
- Liaise with ticketing software vendor and concessions suppliers;
- Work closely with the Marketing Manager to ensure Box Office and Front of House support for group and school events;
- Lead a cross-departmental team to ensure all areas of customer service support;
- Provide reporting and analysis of sales and patron data, industry trends and best practices;
- Actively participate and work strategically as a member of the Marketing team;
- Contribute as a member of the Workplace Health & Safety committee.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- Minimum three years experience in FOH, Box Office or customer service, preferably in an arts and/or entertainment setting;
- A passion for creating an exceptional customer service experience and exceeding patron expectations;
- Ability to supervise and inspire direct reports;
- Excellent ability to foster relationships and build consensus;
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills;
- Experience in concessions management an asset;
- Strong organizational and management skills;
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills;
- Ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced, team environment with multiple stakeholders;
- Strong computer skills, with experience in ticketing software an asset;
- Available for occasional weekend and evening work for special events.
In accordance with YPT’s policy and as a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to pass a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that strongly supports and values diversity, and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment, which includes accommodation. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and people with disabilities and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email resumes with cover letters (one file) to:
Applications for consideration must be received by August 19, 2022
Please quote “Patron Services Manager” in the subject line of your email.
YPT thanks all who apply, but will respond only to those selected for an interview.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.