Young People’s Theatre (YPT), celebrating its 52nd Anniversary Season in 2017/18, is Canada’s largest professional theatre for young audiences company. It currently produces and presents an 8-play season with an audience of approximately 80,000+. Housed in a renovated historical venue in downtown Toronto, YPT works on a 458-seat Mainstage and a 115-seat Studio, as well as operating a year-round Drama School in four locations. Its operating budget is approximately $5 million. The family-friendly employee culture at YPT (given that hours are primarily day time) encourages ingenuity, team-work, and an atmosphere of learning. YPT’s artistic policy focuses on arts and education – in fact, learning is at the centre of everything we do. The company is now embarking upon its strategic plan for the development of a new theatrical facility.
YOUNG PEOPLE’S THEATRE is currently searching for a senior DIRECTOR OF PRODUCTION.
Reporting to the Executive Director and Artistic Director, the Director of Production will supervise all production activity for the theatre. The DP works very closely and collaboratively with other senior directors at the company, most critically the Associate Artistic Director, Education (who shares in scheduling the programming for the facility) and the Director of Operations (who has primary responsibility for the YPT building and health & safety therein).
- plan season and production schedules, in collaboration with Artistic Director and all other departments
- develop and monitor, in consultation with the Executive Director, and Director of Administration, budgets for all productions and presentations, and production overhead
- contract and supervise production and design staff, and stage management
- ensure adherence to and participate in negotiation of IATSE collective agreements
- supervise theatre bookings, rentals, and production builds for external clients
- work collaboratively with the senior management team to support programs, events and the educational mandate at YPT.
- A minimum of 5 years production management experience
- Extensive knowledge of and experience in theatre collective agreements
- Experience in the planning and execution of performing arts capital projects would be an asset.
In accordance with YPT’s policy and as a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to pass a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Screening Check. Young People’s Theatre is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer that strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment that includes accommodation. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome, and people with disabilities and individuals from equity-seeking groups are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email resumes and cover letters in one file to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications for consideration must be received by May 4, 2018.
YPT thanks all applicants but will respond only to those selected for an interview.