Website Canada's National Ballet School
Ready to make your mark in the Arts?
Established in 1959, Canada’s National Ballet School (NBS) is one of the world’s foremost training institutions for aspiring young dancers and teachers. Attracting students from across the country and around the world, NBS is the only ballet academy in North America to provide elite dance training, academic instruction and residential care on the same campus. The School’s progressive curriculum, with its emphasis on the physical and emotional well-being of the student, has put NBS at the forefront of dance training internationally.
Making dance relevant to all persons through its philosophy of ‘sharing dance’ sees NBS engaging a diverse mix of participants, from school children to people living with Parkinson’s Disease, in both on and off-site classes.
Canada’s National Ballet School is currently accepting applications for the Full-Time, Permanent position of:
The Wardrobe Supervisor will be a skilled and energetic self-starter. This individual will supervise the production and care of professionally made costumes for all school performances; provide supervision and direction to staff; maintain inventory and manage the Wardrobe budget.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises the construction/rentals of all costumes/headdresses for school performances. Alters existing costumes;
- Schedules and supervises fitting and measurement calls;
- With the advice of Artistic staff, ensures that appropriate performance footwear is available;
- Schedules and directs the Wardrobe Running Crew for School performances, by ensuring that the required paperwork is available (Costume Plots, pre-sets and quick changes, notes, maintenance instructions; etc.)
- Responsible for monitoring the Wardrobe budget by maintaining supplies/inventory and liaising with suppliers;
- Maintains records and storage of costumes. Updates wardrobe inventory on a regular basis;
- Is responsible for the maintenance and repair of wardrobe equipment and machinery. Ensures proper cleaning and use;
- Maintains levels of qualified staff by recruiting, training, scheduling and developing employees;
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks etc.;
- Supervises and participates in the building of practice tutus for student use.
- Post-secondary education in fashion or theatre design with an understanding of costume history and fabrics;
- 3+ years experience constructing and designing costumes and headdresses for theatre;
- 1+ year in a supervisory role;
- Professional sewing and tailoring skills; expert knowledge of costume care and maintenance;
- Demonstrated leadership abilities;
- Self-starter with ability to meet deadlines; strong communicator and detail oriented.
Successful candidates must supply Canada’s National Ballet School with a Police Reference Check in accordance with the School’s Child Abuse/Sexual Abuse Prevention Policy; this will be coordinated through the Human Resources Department of NBS.
Qualified applicants should send resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include “Wardrobe Manager – 2018” in the subject line by August 26, 2018*.
* Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Canada’s National Ballet School is located at 400 Jarvis St., Toronto, Ontario M4Y 2G6.
Please visit www.nbs-enb.ca for more information.
NBS is committed to providing accessible employment practices, in compliance with the AODA. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, applicants are asked to make their needs/requirements known.
NBS thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.