Head of Wardrobe
Various Full-Time Contracts
About Vertigo Theatre
Vertigo Theatre is a premiere cultural institution in Calgary and has entertained audiences for 45 years with high-quality programming. It is the only theatre in North America programming a season based entirely in the mystery genre. Located at the base of the Calgary Tower, the Vertigo complex is home to our administration, ticket offices and two performance venues. Vertigo aims to thrill, entertain, and challenge by creating theatre that ignites the curiosity of our community. We are dedicated to the revitalization of the mystery theatre genre and to inspiring and mentoring the next generation of arts leaders.
About the Position
Vertigo Theatre seeks an individual for the position of Head of Wardrobe position for the 2021-2022 season, reporting to the Technical Director and the Production & Facility Manager. The Head of Wardrobe is responsible for sourcing or building all costume items needed for the productions.
Vertigo Theatre is looking for a dynamic, collaborative team member with a passion for textile arts and design. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of collaborating with the costumes team to bring characters to life with three dimensionality.
● Coordinating all costume elements for Vertigo productions under the direction of the Costume Designer, including preparing working drawings as necessary, providing estimates if required, and purchasing, borrowing, and returning costumes for the production on behalf of Vertigo Theatre
● Attending Production Meetings, Design Meetings, Rehearsals, and Technical Runs as required
● Liaising with Stage Management to schedule fittings, establish rehearsal requirements, do costume tracking, and create running paperwork
● Managing the Costumes budget, in conjunction with the Production Manager
● Being available on reasonable notice for repair or replacement of the costumes
● Keeping detailed paperwork of all costumes including tracking, care, and returns
● Attending the Strike and returning borrowed items.
● Maintaining and keeping organized the Vertigo Costume office, costume storage spaces, and restocking and/or repairing items as required.
● Hiring and supervising additional labour required for completion of all costume items
● Following Health and Safety Policies, and enforcing them within the Wardrobe Department
Skills and Requirements
The Ideal candidate with have experience with:
● Interpreting Designer’s drawings
● Costume construction, including but not limited to period pieces, suits, dresses
● Wigs and wig styling and maintenance
● Makeup for the stage
● Shopping for characters
● Fittings and Alterations
● Working with a Stage Management Team
● Strong interpersonal skills are necessary to ensure that actors are at ease during the costuming process and comfortable in their costumes
● Excellent communication skills
● Ability to take direction & work independently
● Valid Class 5 Driver’s License (or equivalent)
● Comfortable using sewing machines and wardrobe equipment
● First Aid Certification an asset
40 hours per week with some evenings and weekends required
Special Presentation: October 12 – November 19, and December 19 (6 Weeks)
Mystery Series 1: December 28 – January 21, and February 13 (4 Weeks)
Mystery Series 2: January 31 – March 11, and April 10 (6 Weeks)
Mystery series 3: April 4 – May 13, and June 5 (6 Weeks)
$950.00 per week plus 4% Vacation Pay.
$26/hour for additional work (repairs, strike) outside of the scope of the initial build.
Deadline to Submit
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found. Interviews will start to be scheduled September 15, 2021.
Please send a cover letter with a resume or CV and a portfolio to Jessie Paynter, Production Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use the subject line “Head of Wardrobe Application”.
Applicants are welcome to apply for individual productions or the whole season. Please state clearly in your cover letter which productions you are applying for.
At Vertigo Theatre we are committed to a respectful work environment and a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals including visible minorities and people with disabilities.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. For more information about Vertigo Theatre please visit our website, www.vertigotheatre.com