Touchstone Theatre has been a leading force in Canadian play development for 44 years, and has helped launch and develop some of the country’s most important playwrights and actors. Each season, we produce three to four full-scale productions while providing year-round dramaturgy of new works in consideration for programming. Our 2019-20 season includes two world premieres, one Vancouver premiere, and a co-presentation with the PuSh Festival. We achieve all this with a staff of three, co-led by Artistic Director Roy Surette and Managing Director Amy Lynn Strilchuk, as well as a seasonal team of contract artists and production personnel. www.touchstonetheatre.com
Touchstone Theatre is priming itself for artistic and programming-based financial growth to bolster the creation of new work and productions of Canadian plays from Vancouver-based artists.
To get there, we’re seeking an entrepreneurial, strategic-thinking, theatre-loving team player who is looking for a small shop to implement big change. If you’re a communications specialist and/or arts administrator who wants to see the direct impact of your efforts on growing the art – we want to hear from you.
Anticipated Start Date: August 19, 2019.
Compensation: $39,000 – $42,000 annually, 37.5 hrs/week. Some evening and weekend work will be occasionally required.
Benefits & Vacation: 3 weeks vacation, 1 week paid December Holiday closure, & health benefits plan.
Reports to: Managing Director
Reporting to and working in close collaboration with the Managing Director, the Communications & Business Manager plays a vital role in three key areas: creating and implementing dynamic communications strategies, providing an exceptional patron experience, and supporting the overall business needs of the organization.
- Creates communications and patron engagement plans to meet sales and donor revenue targets, acquire new patrons, and effectively communicate activities to the general public.
- Initiates and oversees the timely creation and distribution of all patron-facing print and digital communications materials; works closely with MD and AD on company branding and seasonal goals while project managing the contract graphic designer, videographer, and photographer in the successful implementation of creative briefs.
- Coordinates successful event activations that engage and serve our audiences; including fundraising events and Touchstone’s annual Lawyer Show in partnership with Carousel Theatre for Young People.
- Builds trusted relationships with media; ensures productions receive balanced coverage across print, radio, online, and TV where possible.
- Supports MD in overall season budget management; reconciles all revenue and expense items, monitors timely reporting of GST, WCB, remittances, and VISA payments, makes in-person bank deposits and payments.
- Maintains and analyzes patron database to support marketing and fundraising initiatives.
- Liaises with venue box offices for all sales reports, ticket requests (comps, group bookings), and the acquisition of patron data after a production closes.
- Provides grant and proposals support as-needed, including narrative and budget drafting.
- Prepares communications documents and budget details as-requested.
- Supports day-to-day operational needs as-requested.
- 3-5 years of direct, hands-on marketing and communications experience in social media management and content creation, template-based website updating, print and digital advertising, collateral creation, publicity, sales, and promotions.
- 1-3 years of experience managing budgets; ideally of $400K+.
- Proven ability to project manage multiple people and deliverables to stay on deadline.
- Proven record of achieving growth-oriented results, with an ability to craft and execute strategies that serve the organization’s short and long term goals.
- Strong communicator with ability to tell captivating, branded stories across all channels.
- Proficiency with CRM software to achieve patron revenue strategies.
- People person who loves creating inviting experiences for both patrons and artists.
- Trusted relationships with media and/or advertising reps
- Adobe InDesign and Illustrator proficiency
- Video editing capabilities
- Donor relations experience
- Event management interest
- Familiar with CADAC
How to Apply:
We are looking for someone who understands the Canadian theatre landscape and loves problem solving the unique challenges we face. In your cover letter, please tell us the ideal patron experience you’d create for Touchstone and how you’d foster those relationships through marketing and communications initiatives. Please also attach up to 3 writing samples that give a range of your communications writing (e.g.: press release, brochure copy, branded blog post, etc).
All applications will be kept strictly confidential.
We strongly encourage applicants with lived experience, from First Nations communities, people of all races, colours, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and genders to apply. We thank all candidates for applying; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Contact: Amy Lynn Strilchuk, firstname.lastname@example.org by Wed, July 24, 2019.