Moving Hearts and Minds.
ORGANIZATION: TheatreOne, Nanaimo, B.C.
DEADLINE: August 15, 2020
TheatreOne is a registered charitable, not for profit society which has been providing professional theatre in Nanaimo for over 35 years, currently under the artistic directorship of David Mann. In normal years, the company presents and produces three shows annually in each of its programs – its MainStage season, a children’s program, Just Kidding, and a play development program which workshops new works, Emerging Voices. It also runs Fringe Flicks, an alternative film series with loyal audiences that has become an important financial pillar of the company.
With COVID-19 much is up in the air. However we are tentatively planning for a full season, January through May of 2021, and the Board is committed to filling this position on a permanent basis.
We are seeking an individual with a strong track record in teamwork and collaboration, an ability to work with an engaged Board and the skills, experience and initiative necessary to advance TheatreOne’s long term vision, i.e. to become a fully producing company bringing outstanding professional theatre to the Mid-Island.
Reporting through the President to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is charged with ensuring professional delivery of all facets of TheatreOne’s operations and with helping advance the strategic priorities of the company, in particular building our financial base and ensuring an impeccable customer experience in delivery of our programs.
With limited staff support, a demanding program schedule and constrained resources, success in this position requires the input and active support of many people in delivering TheatreOne’s programs and achieving its goals, drawing on a strong core of volunteers and an active Board.
The position will average 30 hours/week, with three weeks holidays and flexibility in work arrangements. The salary is $30,000 to $35,000 per annum, commensurate with experience. The starting date is to be determined, but ideally it will be in the early fall. The incumbent will need to live in Nanaimo or the immediate area.
I KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
With input from and in collaboration with the Artistic Director, Board Committees, the President and through him/her, Board members:
· Establish and sustain a collaborative working relationship with the President, committee chairs and individual Board members
· Attend Board meetings and provide written monthly reports; provide advice and analysis as needed for sound Board decision-making and report regularly on progress toward organizational goals
· Alert the President and Board to issues potentially affecting the company and to opportunities to advance the company’s interests
· Ensure necessary administrative, logistical and/or marketing support as necessary to Board meetings, to the work of its committees and to special Board initiatives such as fundraising
· Support development of Board policies and Board member recruitment and orientation.
Leadership, Management and Supervision
· Participate in the company’s planning processes, contributing to development of strategic priorities and creating operational plans to achieve strategic goals
· Engage, manage and support TheatreOne staff, volunteers and non-performance contractors
· In collaboration with the Artistic Director, negotiate contracts and provide contractual, logistical and other required support for actors and professionals, consistent with the requirements of PACT and Equity
· Oversee the delivery of TheatreOne programs to ensure the customers’ experience is efficient, professional and welcoming
· Develop and implement a revenue generation strategy, track results and adapt as appropriate
· Identify and pursue sponsorship opportunities and manage sponsor relations, working with and through Board members as appropriate
· Develop and manage a donor relationship strategy to build and sustain a strong donor base
· Identify and pursue opportunities for grants through major funding agencies, foundations and other sources, collaborating with the Artistic Director to prepare grant applications and ensuring all requirements are met
· Ensure effective management of fundraising events and related initiatives and support Board efforts in this regard
· Identify and pursue other opportunities for generating revenues.
Financial Management and Accountability
· Prepare the annual budget in consultation with the Artistic Director and Finance Committee
· Monitor, control and report monthly on the current financial situation through financial statements, cash flow projections and related reports
· Ensure the accuracy of day to day financial transactions and the integrity of related systems such as box office, accounts payable, payroll and banking activities; liaise with the bookkeeper to ensure s/he receives accurate and timely inputs to the accounts
· Ensure that all filings, reports and other requirements of CRA and other government agencies are met in an accurate and timely manner
· Generally ensure the financial integrity of the company.
Administration and Program Delivery
· Sustain and enhance the systems, processes and procedures underpinning office operations and program delivery, ensuring they are followed and maintained on a day to day basis
· Ensure TheatreOne operates in accordance with its internal policies and meets its obligations, e.g.; Regulatory and reporting requirements, including CRA, and the provisions of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) and Equity.
· Generally oversee the on-going operation of the office and the delivery of programs.
Marketing and Community Relations
· Develop and oversee realization of marketing strategies for TheatreOne offerings and related publicity
· Market and support member recruitment and manage member relations
· Build networks to promote TheatreOne in the community
· Pursue opportunities to build public awareness of the company and develop audiences
· In the absence of the Artistic Director act as TheatreOne’s representative at public events.
II. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
· A good track record in working with an engaged Board
· Strong financial management skills
· Excellent organizational and administrative skills
· Excellent verbal and written communications skills
· Robust experience with fundraising
· Management experience, preferably with a performing arts company – experience in the administration of a theatre company is an asset
· Proficiency with key computer applications and technology, e.g. word, excel, social media platforms and digital technologies
· A valid drivers’ licence and access to a vehicle when required.
· Preference for collaboration and teamwork
· Ability to build and maintain constructive relationships with others
· Ability to effectively set priorities and thrive in a complex, multi-task environment
· Attention to detail; strong procedural orientation
· Energy, commitment and a focus on results
IV HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
· A cover letter explaining why this position intrigues you and why you are our ideal candidate
· Your CV/Resume
· Links to any relevant work you have done