Website Theatre Calgary
Theatre Calgary is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic, connected, resourceful team player who thrives in a fast-paced, hands-on, creative environment to be its new Director of Partner Relations.
“Theatre Calgary’s vision is to stand amongst the best theatres globally as a leader in innovative, impactful and diverse programming. Its mission is to stimulate, provoke and delight through ambitious programming created to ignite local, national and international engagement.”
Theatre Calgary reflects the communities, the country, and the world we live in with ambitious programming, passionate community engagement, and extraordinary productions. As a result, we are one of the most recognizable arts and cultural institutions in Canada. For over 50 years, we have focused our energy on providing our community with quality classic and contemporary productions, featuring the best talent, on our mainstage. Today, we are Calgary’s largest professional theatre company and a proud supporter of local emerging artists with bold aspirations for the future.
Theatre Calgary is a model of strong fiscal management in the Canadian arts sector. With over 60 per cent of its operating revenue coming from non-governmental sources and a strong endowment fund, it is poised to enter is next stage of growth.
The Position Summary:
Reporting to the Executive Director and supported by a dynamic department, the successful candidate will be responsible for helping grow Theatre Calgary’s operational revenue. Primary responsibilities of this role include: advancement of fund development strategies, building the company’s contributed and sponsorship revenue base, and the cultivating and stewarding of relationships with key stakeholders, in partnership with the Executive Director. This will include community, foundation, business leaders, our Board of Directors and our general patron base.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a creative environment and has experience with: strategic planning, corporate acquisition and renewal, individual major gifts, legacy giving, fundraising communications, in addition to managing teams, campaigns and special events.
– Developing and implementing an annual fund development and sponsorship plan, with related strategies for Theatre Calgary that involves corporate and individual giving, programming sponsorships, gala fundraisers and foundation grants
– Working with the Chair of the Sponsorship Development Committee (board member) on preparation for quarterly meetings, agendas and materials
– Working with the Sponsorship Development Committee (board members) on various initiatives that require board member assistance and involvement
– Researching, planning, implementing and directing the activities of the Partner Relations department towards the goal of maximizing overall net contributed revenues
– Enhancing the profile of Theatre Calgary as a premier local and national institution for sponsors and donors through business-to-business sales coordination and research, liaising with existing and potential donors and sponsors
– Managing and prioritizing communications throughout the organization while also processing information for dissemination to the Executive Director and board committees
– Leading the coordination of work across all internal departments to ensure sponsor requirements are met
– Together with the Executive Director and Artistic Director, identifying and strengthening current and prospective individual stakeholder relationships towards building a robust major gifts program and bequest program
– Working across the organization to identify, conceptualize, develop and leverage the Theatre Calgary offerings and assets, embracing new, innovative sponsorship models as well as best practices
– Overseeing the management of a robust fund-raising database (Tessitura) including establishing policies for recording, maintaining and updating current donor and prospective donor information
– Setting achievable annual development revenue and budget goals in conjunction with the Director of Finance and Executive Director
– Overseeing the creation and management of stewardship packages and proposals with a thorough knowledge of the Theatre’s ability to deliver client benefits
– Together with the Executive Director, servicing, cultivating and building relationships with current and prospective sponsors
– Leading the creation of sponsor agreements on behalf of the Theatre.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, optimistic and have worked in a dynamic environment where they have experience delivering on multiple priorities and will hold the following qualifications
– Minimum 10 years of related fund development experience and/or relationship sales experience, achieving annual department revenue goals of $1.5M or more
– Demonstrated track record of inclusive and strategic leadership, vision, collaboration and team building with strong interpersonal skills, integrity, high energy, and creativity
– Knowledge of the not-for-profit environment, and an appreciation of the performing arts, especially theatre
– Understanding of Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Alberta Municipal Affair’s regulations and guidelines regarding fundraising in Canada and specifically, Alberta
– Awareness/experience/direct knowledge of the Western Canadian fund development landscape
– Experience in building and managing a high-functioning and positive team culture
– Proficiency in Tessitura would be considered an asset
– Exceptional communication, customer service, time management skills with the ability to prioritize and keen attention to detail
– A proactive and dynamic professional who inspires confidence and credibility; has a strategic orientation and an honest, transparent and collaborative leadership style
– A genuine commitment to help grow an internal culture that values people and provides an opportunity for everyone to flourish
– Dedicated to the principles of equal opportunity, cultural diversity, and broadening access to the arts
– A strong results-oriented work ethic
– A confident, calm, and tactful professional approach with an ability to deal with a wide variety of people and with changing internal and external conditions
– A pragmatic and effective problem-solver
– A commitment to contribute to the Calgary community
Theatre Calgary offers a unique and exciting work environment, a robust total compensation package and the opportunity for advancement and employee training. Salary commensurate with experience.
Commitment to Diversity:
Theatre Calgary is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres and operates within the jurisdiction of the Canadian Theatre Agreement.
Theatre Calgary is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We recognize that a diverse staff enriches the environment and culture of our entire organization and our larger community. As such, we are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society.
We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our organization’s diversity. We welcome applications from all qualified persons and encourage all those who may contribute to the further diversification of our ideas and perspectives to apply.
How to Apply:
Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org