The Theatre Centre is looking to fill the role of an Interim Marketing and Communications Manager. This role will fill a leave of absence for a 6 month period, with the possibility of extension.
This is a 6-month (minimum) contract position.
Hours: 40 hours/week
Salary: Based on $47,000 annual salary
Start date: As soon as possible
The Interim Marketing and Communications Manager will oversee the strategic communications for the organization and work with the management, artistic, publicity, and development teams to fulfill yearly communications and development objectives. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join our small but enthusiastic team and to play an integral role in the marketing and communications at a live-arts institution.
About The Theatre Centre
The Theatre Centre is a nationally recognized live-arts incubator and community hub. Our mission is to offer a home for creative, cultural and social interactions to invent the future. We make work that spans disciplines and genres; work that pushes the boundaries of what is considered performance.
Since March 2020, we have continued our support of artists and actually increased our support of the creation of new work. Though the doors have been closed to the public there has been a flurry of activity in the building with artists researching, creating, rehearsing, and presenting (when safe to do so). In October, we reopened to audiences for the first time and we will be hosting more public events, shows, and festivals in the new year.
About the Role
The successful applicant will use their skills to:
- Position The Theatre Centre as a leading voice in the arts and community-building.
- Engage and excite audiences early on and throughout the entire creative process.
- Break down traditional barriers and expand The Theatre Centre’s audience with special attention paid to racialized, Disabled, and other marginalized communities.
Areas of accountability include:
- Strategic communications:
- Work with the strategic communications committee of the board to update and finalize the yearly communications plan (calendar, audience matrix, key objectives, goals, and strategies).
- Creating and managing yearly budget along with AD and Business Director.
- Working with the Development team to set fundraising goals and strategies, and to create material for yearly campaigns, and special initiatives.
- Contribute to the grant writing process.
- Collaborate with the Publicity & Promotions Manager on the creation of all graphic elements for print and digital for marketing and development purposes.
- Work with the Publicity & Promotions Manager and Partnerships Manager to develop a social media calendar.
- Responsible for planning of e-blast communications and coordinating the creation with the Publicity, Development and Production teams.
- Internal communications: ensure all staff are aware of events, shows, and the TC values and goals (as pertains to their role).
Applicant Qualities & Qualifications:
- Exceptional communicator with strategic planning experience.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with a high attention to detail. Experience writing captivating material for different groups including audiences, community members, funders, donors, foundations, granting bodies etc.
- Experience writing and editing grants.
- Knowledge of development procedures and best practices.
- Experience working in the performing arts/live-arts sector; knowledge of The Theatre Centre is an asset.
- Experience working with WordPress.
- Ability to work independently and with a team; experience managing people an asset
- Works well under pressure and can juggle numerous, often competing priorities.
- A strong, self-directed work ethic with experience in a remote, work-from-home setting
- Graphic design skills are an asset. More importantly, you have an eye for design and the ability to communicate with designers.
- Experience working with WordPress, Dropbox, monday.com, Slack, Zoom, and Adobe Creative Suite is an asset.
The Theatre Centre is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from queer, transgender and two-spirit people, First Nations, Inuit and Métis, Black people and people of colour, and people with disabilities. We’re also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your needs.
We’d like this application process to be as quick and easy for you as possible. We will be accepting applications and interviewing on a continuous basis until the position is filled. Interviews will commence on or after January 10, 2022. Applicants can submit existing resumes — no cover letter needed. Please send your most recent resume, writing samples (press release, development material, grant writing, etc.) and/or a link to your portfolio, along with a quick introductory email to email@example.com. In your email, please let us know where you heard about the job. Please send files as PDFs with file names in the format of LASTNAME_Firstname_Communications.pdf.
Thanks for your interest! While we thank all applicants who submit their candidacy for this posting, personal responses to all inquiries may not be possible.