Edmonton’s Citadel Theatre is recruiting a new Executive Director to strategically lead the organization. The successful candidate will have the vision, energy, experience and skills to meet our high expectations for an inspired leader.
The successful candidate will be an exceptional leader who, working collaboratively with the Artistic Director, will take the Citadel into its next period of growth and success by implementing an organizational strategy that embraces entrepreneurism, creative thinking, and partnerships.
As the Citadel’s co-CEO, the ED will be responsible for overall management of the Citadel’s marketing, finance, business development, fund development, business planning and facility management activities. Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the ED will be an experienced leader who will define and enhance the Citadel experience, raise Citadel’s profile locally and nationally and lead major sales efforts to support annual operations and strategic initiatives.
Currently in its 52nd Season, the Citadel Theatre is one of North America’s largest not-for-profit theatres and is a veritable Edmonton institution operating an iconic facility in the heart of the City’s arts district. In addition to producing a robust and impactful theatre season each year, the Citadel Theatre operates the Academy at the Citadel, which encompasses the Citadel/Banff Centre Professional Theatre Program, a Play Development program, a Young Companies program, and a Theatre School. Additional information about the Citadel Theatre can be found at www.citadeltheatre.com.
- You’re regarded by others as a leader and have a minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in an executive leadership role in the arts, not-for-profit, entertainment, tourism, lodging or sports business sector
- You have a proven track record of growing the financial health and prosperity of an organization.
- You’re a driver of change, innovation and disruption.
- You probably have a post graduate degree in business administration of marketing. You have well developed strategy, business development, and marketing and financial management skills.
- You’re excited by a challenge.
- You can legally work in Canada.
What You’ll Do
- Lead the Citadel Theatre into its next era, working with the Board and Artistic Director to define and execute its future strategies.
- Working with the Artistic Director, implement a creative and compelling vision that inspires and motivates the entire organization.
- Develop/enhance an entrepreneurial, forward-thinking and results focused organization.
Strategy, Branding and Market Positioning
- Create/implement a strategic plan that guides the organization into its next era of growth, success and financial sustainability.
- Create and implement a transformative brand/marketing initiative to position the Citadel and its offerings as a leader and preferred choice for theatre entertainment in Canada. Grow the theatre, pushing the envelope of conventional thinking to drive revenue.
- Actively engage with community leaders and partners to attract new audiences and strengthen relationships with existing audiences.
- Identify and cultivate community and promotional partnerships in support of the strategic plan.
- In cooperation with the Artistic Director, conceptualize, implement, and execute a long-range facility development vision/plan that will preserve the unique asset while opening avenues for new income sources and asset utilization.
- Develop/oversee the facility capital maintenance program and day-to-day facility operations.
Development and Fundraising
- Lead the Citadel’s fundraising strategies in all aspects of fund development. Establish, manage and enhance existing and new relationships with key sponsors and donors, facilitating the creation of new and renewed sources of major gifts, grants, and sponsorships and securing a robust and diverse support base for the Citadel Theatre.
Financial Oversight and Reporting
- Working with the Artistic Director, develop the annual budget, assume overall financial responsibility, and direct fiscal management, including operating within the approved budget, ensuring optimized resource utilization, and maintaining a positive financial position.
Board Governance Support
- Through established mechanisms, communicate with the board regarding strategic initiatives, financial results, and operations.
- Work collaboratively with the Board in the formation and implementation of strategy.
Where You’ll Work/Who You’ll Work With
- At one of Canada’s largest not-for-profit theatres.
- In a vast facility with two 680 seat theatres and a small cabaret venue that seats up to 160.
- Collaboratively as co-CEO with an Artistic Director.
- In a collaborative IATSE environment.
- In the heart of Edmonton’s Arts District, just up the street from the Winspear Centre (home of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra), the Art Gallery of Alberta and the soon-to-open Provincial Museum of Alberta.
- In an ambitious and growing City (see www.Edmonton.com and www.Edmonton.ca)
What To Do Next
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to EDsearch@citadeltheatre.com as soon as possible. The posting will remain open until a superlative candidate is found.
The Citadel Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. Thank you for your application but only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.