Tapestry Opera is seeking a talented, savvy communicator to join our team!
Tapestry Opera is an award-winning independent opera producer known for innovative and progressive practices in developing and producing opera, currently celebrating its 40th anniversary season. Our team consists of FIVE full-time staff and has recently restructured in order to open up a SIXTH position as the company expands. We value collaboration and rigour in developing and producing new works as much as we do collaboration in our administrative work. The company culture onstage and off is one that welcomes new ideas, strives to evolve, and cultivates new practices. As North America’s most prolific commissioner of new operatic work, we tap into vital and relevant stories and diverse musical traditions as part of our mandate. We are the leading opera company in Canada in performing works by women and artists from diverse backgrounds and believe strongly in progressively reflecting and engaging the world we live in through our works and throughout all of our organizational activities.
Recently, we have dealt with the COVID crisis by guaranteeing all artists fees, pivoting to livestreaming and remote collaboration, and launching a 2020-2021 season “Immune to Cancellation”.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will develop and execute the communications, marketing, and promotions of Tapestry Opera’s brand, seasons, and individual shows. We are looking for both a strategic thinker and a hands-on executor who is ready to complement the growth of the brand and become a leader in our innovative, dynamic organization. We’re a highly collaborative team, and this role would work closely with the General Director, Executive Director, Manager of External Relations, and the Manager of Patron Engagement to ensure consistency of tone and message across platforms.
We are committed to equity in hiring and specifically encourage people from communities of colour, LGBTQ2S, Indigenous, disabled, and other equity-seeking communities to apply.
THINGS THAT MATTER:
- We make art that is socially engaged – you have an understanding or lived experience of principles of equity and anti-oppression, and/or are interested in and open to the process of learning
- You have relevant experience in Marketing & Communications (minimum 1-3 years professional experience preferred), with a track record of success.
- You have exceptional writing and communication skills.
- You are analytical and tuned in to new marketing trends.
- You have proficiency with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, WordPress, and basic design skills (familiarity with one or more of the following preferred: InDesign, Publisher, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.).
- You have an interest in, and understanding of, the arts – knowledge of opera an asset.
- You see challenge as an opportunity
- You are looking for work you’ll love. We do this because we love the work, and we like each other.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Flexibility with hours, work-from-home days
- Casual working environment
- Unlimited vacation and paid time off
- Open, transparent, and communicative office culture
- Professional development opportunities
- Office located in a bright, beautiful heritage building in the Distillery Historic District.
- Your expertise is valued and trusted, and you will have real input into decision-making
- Tickets to all Tapestry productions.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
This is a comprehensive but not exhaustive list, in which there is room for growth in particular areas of interest to the applicant. As with any small organization, additional duties as required, within reason and subject to discussion.
COMMUNICATIONS AND MARKETING:
- Develop marketing and communications strategies for all events, productions, video releases
Ensure all communications further strategic goals, adhere to overall communications and branding plan, and represent Tapestry in tone and content
- Ensure a unified image and approach to written communications is used for all Tapestry external correspondence: (newsletters, press releases, information packages, etc.), in collaboration with the Manager of External Relations, Executive Director, and Artistic Director.
- Develop and oversee Communications Calendar, integrating social media, email, and direct mail appeals, in conjunction with the Patron Engagement Manager, Executive Director, and Artistic Director
- Research target audiences and collaboratively develop imaging and key messages for Tapestry’s marketing materials.
- Write/edit all marketing copy; work with Patron Engagement Manager to develop donor copy
- Design and create season brochure, production one-pagers, poster copy, with support from the General Director and Executive Director.
- Manage marketing collateral creation timelines, including video
- Develop and execute social media strategy as part of overall Marketing Plan, including daily and weekly posts on all social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc)
PROMOTION AND PRODUCTIONS:
- Optimize Tapestry’s SEO and promote YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn channels
- Manage and track expenses for Tapestry’s annual Marketing budget.
- Together with Tapestry staff, achieve budget targets for ticket sales and subscriptions
- Identify advertising opportunities and facilitate listings and ad purchases.
- Ensure that marketing materials are documented and/or archived as necessary.
- Find cross promotional partnerships for Tapestry events and arrange for reciprocal marketing where possible (flyer & list exchanges, e-blasts, website presence, etc.).
- Act as key contact for Tapestry’s contracted Public Relations firm.
- Assist with coordination of media bookings, media kits and interview requests.
- Write news releases either in collaboration with contracted Public Relations firms or on behalf of Tapestry (where outside of the PR firm contract) and assist or take the lead on media distribution and follow-up.
- Be available for Tapestry shows, as required for press and donor/sponsor liaison.
- Ensure website information is up-to-date and reflective of current organization and activities, including planning ahead for release of new materials and website support for all activities
- Develop web analytics, maintain necessary codes and api keys to generate custom analytics and use Excel tools to create infographic enhanced reports on web analytics.
If this sounds like something that you could love, we’d like to hear from you.
Checklist: Please include as one complete pdf file, in this order:
- Cover letter (hint, research the company) on why you’d like to work for Tapestry and why you think you’d make and excellent candidate for this role.
- Up-to-date resume.
If you are invited for an interview, please bring two writing samples and two references that we can contact by phone and/or email.
Email email@example.com with your pdf attachment and include Marketing and Communications Manager in the subject line.