Based in Stratford, Ontario, the Stratford Festival is one of the world’s foremost repertory theatre companies. It operates year round, presenting a season of about a dozen plays each year between the months of April and November, a rich stream of digital content and hundreds of Forum events, designed to deepen understanding of the plays. For every person a theatregoer sees on our stages, we have seven people working behind the scenes, some of the world’s most dedicated and experienced arts workers. At this time we are undergoing a culture shift to support anti-racism and anti-oppression and ensure a respectful, equitable and inclusive environment in which all staff, artists and audience members can feel a true sense of belonging.
If you would like to be part of this change and contribute your own remarkable talents to North America’s largest not-for-profit theatre, we’d like to hear from you. We are currently welcoming applications for:
Head of Design
Reporting to the Artistic Director and the Director of Production, you are the leader of the Festival’s Design Department. In doing so you ensure design supports the vision of the Artistic Director and the goals of the Stratford Festival. You are responsible for facilitating the design process and liaising with all Designers and Assistant Designers throughout the season. The position is part of the Production management team and collaborates on the leadership of the Production Department.
· Participate in season planning with a specific-focus on the design production process
· Ensure that diversity and inclusion is a priority in the selection of each season’s designers
· Engage in long-term planning of building or other capital projects
· Act as a liaison for all Designers and provide support as required
· Provide orientation and onboarding for returning and new Designers
· Share information about season design with audience-facing departments including marketing, advancement, education and audience development
· Facilitate mentorship and training opportunities for Assistant Designers
· Foster and promote the growth of Assistant Designers through relationship-building
· Lead the development of the training program for assistant designers
· Gather feedback and look towards improving the design process in subsequent seasons
· Minimum of five years’ experience as a theatre designer
· Training or experience working in design, theatre production or related fields
· Comprehensive understanding of how each design discipline intersects
· Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
· Collaborative and positive attitude
· Ability to successfully manage, mentor, and maintain relationships with others
· Experience working in a repertory and/or unionized environment is an asset, but not a requirement
This full time contract position is located in Stratford, Ontario and will begin in November 2021. This position will require the successful candidate to embrace a flexible work schedule, working on-site and remote when required.
Job Type: Full Time Contract (24-month term)
Annual Salary: $68,459 – $85,574
The Festival is working diligently toward a safe and healthy workplace for everyone. We welcome applicants of every identity, and encourage applications from Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Deaf, disabled and 2SLGBTQ+ folks. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and beyond. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know.
If you have the qualifications to fill this role and feel you could make a meaningful contribution to the Stratford Festival, please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter in a single PDF by 5:00pm on September 24, 2021 to:
Subject: Head of Design
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.