Based in Stratford, Ontario, the Stratford Festival is one of the world’s foremost repertory theatre companies. It operates year round, presenting a season of about a dozen plays each year between the months of April and November, a rich stream of digital content and hundreds of Forum events, designed to deepen understanding of the plays. For every person a theatregoer sees on our stages, we have seven people working behind the scenes, some of the world’s most dedicated and experienced arts workers. At this time we are undergoing a culture shift to support anti-racism and anti-oppression and ensure a respectful, equitable and inclusive environment in which all staff, artists and audience members can feel a true sense of belonging.
If you would like to be part of this change and contribute your own remarkable talents to North America’s largest not-for-profit theatre, we’d like to hear from you. We are currently welcoming applications for:
Scene Shop Manager
The Scene Shop Manager is part of the production management team at the Stratford Festival reporting to the Director of Production. This position, based at our scenic workshops, manages the operation of the Scene Shop and the logistics involved in the construction and delivery of scenery to our stages. In partnership with the Technical Director-Scenic Construction, you ensure that work flow through the scenic carpentry, scenic art and other departments is efficient, safe, and timely. The active monitoring and accurate reporting on costs is essential to the success of the scenic construction process. This position also oversees the inventory and warehousing of past productions, scenery, and technical equipment.
· Ensure the morale and staff of the Scene Shop is positive and focused on productivity.
· Aid the technical management team by actively monitoring and reporting on costs, progress and status of projects.
· Prepare, maintain, and distribute the Scene Shop calendar/schedules keeping all up to-date with key deadlines, goals, progress and changes.
· Create a project list for each production that details the approved projects and the budget allocated to each project.
· Communicate the expectations of the construction schedule and/or projects with the Scene Shop department heads and staff; and assist with any challenges in meeting deadlines and budget.
· Manage construction schedules and in cooperation with the respective Technical Directors, coordinate all activities related to scenery construction, scenic art, delivery of scenery, maintenance and improvements in order to meet deadlines as established by the schedules.
· Manage and communicate the daily trucking, logistics and movement of scenery between the shop and stages.
· Chair the weekly Scene Shop meeting including detailing the goals for the week.
· Coordinate changes and alterations to scenic stage effects as requested by the Technical Directors. Ensure the repair and maintenance of production elements as necessary.
· Coordinate any involvement between the Properties Department, the Scene Shop and Scenic Art with the Technical Directors.
· Coordinate the rental of shows and liaise with the Directors’ Office and other theatres as required.
· Plan the external warehouse needs and advise on changes required as planning decisions are made.
· Act as the liaison between the Scene Shop, Production Management Team, Stages, Departments and Designers.
· Adhere to, implement, and enforce the Stratford Festival’s Health and Safety Policy and Procedures guidelines. Inform the Director of Production of any condition observed to be unsafe.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Post-Secondary or equivalent education and experience in a field related to theatre production.
· Minimum of 5 years’ experience in technical theatre, preferably in a unionized environment.
· Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
· Strong verbal communication and leadership abilities are considered important attributes.
· Understanding of budget forecasting.
· Applicants with a degree in theatre production is considered an asset.
This full-time position is located in Stratford, Ontario and will ideally begin in August/September, 2022.
Job Type: Full-Time
The Festival is working diligently toward a safe and healthy workplace for everyone. We welcome applicants of every identity, and encourage applications from Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Deaf, disabled and 2SLGBTQ+ folks. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and beyond. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know.
As a condition of hire, all successful job candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of full vaccination at time of contracting. This condition is subject to the provisions of the Human Rights Code.
If you have the qualifications to fill this role and feel you could make a meaningful contribution to the Stratford Festival, please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter in a single PDF by 9:00am on June 6, 2022 to:
Subject: Scene Shop Manager
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.