Soulpepper Theatre Company’s (Soulpepper) vision is to share vital stories that connect us all. Soulpepper traditionally delivers on that mission by producing a year-round season of over 500 events, including plays, concerts, musicals, festivals and presentations. Soulpepper plays a civic role in our community through free education programs, community conversation series, artist training, environmental sustainability initiatives, and newcomer welcome programs.
Soulpepper strives to ensure theatre is accessible to all by offering ASL interpretation, Relaxed Performances, free tickets to arts workers and those under 25 years old, and ensuring a public $25 ticket price or all our programs. During COVID, Soulpepper has adapted to digital platforms offering free sharable content, including play readings, workshops, interviews, and concerts.
For over 15 years, Soulpepper has been delivering youth and education programs in school and community settings, and at our home, The Young Centre for the Performing Arts. Our program is offered for free and helps give voice and training to the artists of tomorrow. Soulpepper’s education department works in school and community settings across Southern Ontario, welcomes school and community groups to the theatre with opportunities for wrap around activity, and supports the creative development of young people through intensives such as our City Youth Academy.
Soulpepper is looking for an extraordinary artist administrator to create and lead the next generation of its award-winning education program – someone who will bring ambition and inspiration to this position, designing and delivering programs that speak to the issues of our community, connect with our artistic program, and support young people in developing their own creative skills.
Soulpepper is an organization committed to pursuing Radical Inclusion. Applicants of all experience levels are welcome to apply. We encourage applications from Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour, Trans, and Disabled persons.
The Education Manager is a creative and administrative position, leading Soulpepper’s education program. The post holder has responsibility for the research, design, delivery and evaluation of all education projects, and works closely with the Artistic and Executive Directors to ensure alignment with Soulpepper’s Vision and Mission. The post holder will have an opportunity to evaluate the department’s current program, and to create the next chapter of this important work. In particular, Soulpepper is keen to develop more opportunities for young people as theatre makers, and to program work by and for young people across its theatre spaces. The post holder will have an opportunity to innovate, and to be of significant impact as this thinking develops.
The Education Manager’s key responsibilities include:
- To develop and deliver a multi-year vision for Soulpepper’s education department, which furthers the strategic objectives as articulated in Soulpepper’s Strategic Plan.
- To create new programs that invest in young people as artists, giving real opportunity to the professional theatre makers of tomorrow.
- To lead the education department, which currently includes the Education Co-ordinator & Producing Assistant (one position, which works across both education and producing) and a number of freelance artist educators who support the department on a project by project basis. As the company’s work expands again post pandemic, there will be opportunity to grow the team as plans require and allow.
- To embrace and advocate for the company’s commitment to a collaborative and empowering working culture, actively supporting Soulpepper’s commitment to radical inclusion, and ensuring that these values are present throughout the department’s work.
- To collaborate with the Artistic and Executive Directors to ensure that the education program enhances the creative vision of the company, and delivers opportunities for young people to develop their professional creative careers.
- Oversee and execute contracting and budgeting for the educational programs.
- To lead on Soulpepper’s relationships with school and community groups from across Southern Ontario, ensuring that the company remains responsive to contemporary needs and issues
- To represent Soulpepper in the local, regional, national and international arts education community, seeking out opportunities for partnership and learning.
- To collaborate with the Director of Partnerships and Development to secure and cultivate donors in support of the education program, ensuring excellent and timely reporting.
- To collaborate with the Communications Director to secure and cultivate sources of government funding in support of the education program, ensuring excellent and timely reporting.
- To work with marketing and communications colleagues, to ensure that the department’s work is well represented across Soulpepper’s media channels, reaching the communities for whom it is intended.
- Minimum 4-years’ experience as a practicing artist
- Experience working in arts administration
- Experience working with educational programming
- Passion for youth and community outreach
- Passion for innovation within education and best arts practices
- Experience creating programming for youth
- Annual salary range of $50,000 – $60,000 commensurate with experience
- 15 vacation days, 5 paid sick days and 5 personal days
- Performs most duties in a regular office environment however due to current COVID related restrictions, staff are primarily working from home
- Must be available to work regular office hours however, due to the nature of the performing arts environment, some work may occur outside of regular office hours including evenings and weekends
How to apply:
Soulpepper is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community and our country. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and encourage submissions from individuals, with proper credentials, of all genders, cultures, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. Soulpepper is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. Soulpepper invites candidates who may require assistance during the application/ hiring process, to let us know and we will work with them to meet their needs. Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, will only contact those selected for interviews.
Please send résumé and cover letter detailing how you can contribute to this dynamic not-for-profit arts organization by no later than MAY 25, 2021.
Please quote EM2021 on the subject line when applying by email.
To apply for this job email your details to EducationManager2021@soulpepper.ca.