Soulpepper Theatre Company’s (Soulpepper) vision is to share vital stories that connect us all. Soulpepper traditionally delivers on that mission by producing a year-round season of over 500 events, including plays, concerts, musicals, festivals and presentations. Soulpepper plays a civic role in our community through free education programs, community conversation series, artist training, environmental sustainability initiatives, and newcomer welcome programs. Soulpepper strives to ensure theatre is accessible to all by offering ASL interpretation, Relaxed Performances, free tickets to arts workers and those under 25 years old, and ensuring a public $25 ticket price or all our programs. During COVID, Soulpepper has adapted to digital platforms offering free sharable content, including play readings, workshops, interviews, and concerts.
Soulpepper is an organization committed to pursuing Radical Inclusion. Applicants of all experience levels are welcome to apply. We encourage applications from Indigenous, Black, Persons of Colour, Trans, and Disabled persons.
This newly defined Director position is Soulpepper’s senior marketing and communications executive. The role is responsible for creating and delivering on a strategy that both meets sales targets, and supports the Company’s mission related objectives, as defined in the current Strategic Plan. This role is also responsible for marketing and communications for Soulpepper’s joint venture, the Young Centre for the Performing Arts (the “Young Centre”).
The position overseas a department of one full time Communications Officer, and freelance marketeers who are appointed on a project by project basis. This structure accommodates the company’s workflow during the Covid 19 pandemic, and a key responsibility of the new appointee will be to grow the team back to a full time complement that suits seasonal programming, which is anticipated to commence in early 2022.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Marketing and Communications is part of the Soulpepper Senior Management Team and, as such, makes a meaningful contribution to all aspects of the company’s life, including strategic planning, budgeting and team leadership.
The Director of Marketing and Communications makes a regular report to the Soulpepper board, attending meetings, and making presentations as required.
The Director of Marketing and Communications key results and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and deliver an annual Marketing Plan that amplifies Soulpepper’s commitment to Radical Inclusion, by focussing on audience development and community outreach.
- Collaborate with the Artistic Director, Executive Producer, and show specific creative teams to understand the cultural context of each Soulpepper production or presentation, such that marketing campaigns can maximise their potential for audience development.
- Oversee and manage the Soulpepper season subscription renewal and acquisition campaigns, including pricing strategy, and production of season brochures.
- Responsible for the achievement of box office revenue goals of Soulpepper and maintaining the profile of each organization to current patrons, potential patrons and the media.
- Develop and conduct regular and periodic audience and market research, with the goal of improving operations and maximizing impact opportunities.
- Work with the Director of Partnerships and Development to ensure that all funders, sponsors, and partners are properly recognized for their contributions across marketing platforms.
- Develop and manage strategies to strengthen engagement with audience members across all Soulpepper activities.
- Ensure that excellent customer service practices are achieved by liaising with and advising the Young Centre Patron Services department.
- Develop and manage the annual marketing budget in accordance with established financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure that best practices in collection, reporting and analysis of ticket sales data are achieved by collaborating with the Patron Services, Information Technology and Finance departments. Ensure the tracking and availability of all reporting data required by other departments.
- Leading on the development, co-ordination and delivery of Soulpepper’s message, to stakeholders, media, staff, board, partners, patrons and the city’s cultural community.
- Shaping the public profiles of both Soulpepper and the Young Centre, seeking to strengthen engagement across communities, with a presence on social and in traditional media, through targeted communications, and with events and activities that can highlight and share mission, program and message.
- Develop and support publicity strategies that maximizes media coverage (print, online, radio, TV, digital), for Soulpepper, with the aim of raising brand profile and attracting new audiences.
- Managing the company’s communications staff, and any freelance or contract workers who may be engaged to support the company’s communications strategy.
- Working in partnership with the Artistic and Executive Directors in the development of a communications strategy that delivers the company’s agreed message, in a timely manner.
- Ensuring the delivery of the agreed strategy, across all platforms, and within available resources.
- Developing, managing and monitoring the communications budget, reporting updates to the Executive and Finance Directors as required.
- Work with the Director of Partnerships and Development to ensure that all funders, sponsors, and partners are properly recognized for their contributions across communications platforms.
- Ensuring that an appropriate communications schedule is in place, and is communicated throughout the organisation. In particular, maintaining close collaboration with the Director of Partnerships and Development, to ensure coherent and co-ordinated messaging to donors and patrons.
- Actively networking on behalf of the company on a regional, national and international level, working to ensure that Soulpepper’s profile is well positioned.
- Attending performances, conferences and events on behalf of the company, both at The Young Center and elsewhere.
- Embracing and advocating for the company’s commitment to a collaborative and empowering working culture
- Actively supporting the company’s commitment to radical inclusion
- Championing the company’s Code of Conduct and Statement of Promises
- Performs most duties in a regular office environment however due to current COVID related restrictions, staff are primarily working from home
- Must be available to work regular office ours however, due to the nature of the performing arts environment, some work may occur outside of regular office hours including evenings and weekends
- Annual range of $85,000 to $100,000 commensurate with experience
- 20 vacation days, 5 paid sick days and 5 personal days
- Health and dental benefits
HOW TO APPLY
Soulpepper is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community and our country. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and encourage submissions from individuals, with proper credentials, of all genders, cultures, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. Soulpepper is committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. Soulpepper invites candidates who may require assistance during the application/ hiring process, to let us know and we will work with them to meet their needs. Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, will only contact those selected for interviews.
Please send résumé and cover letter detailing how you can contribute to this dynamic not-for-profit arts organization by no later than July 12, 2021. Start date is negotiable.
Please quote DMC21 on the subject line when applying by email.
To apply for this job email your details to DirectorMktgComm2021@Soulpepper.ca.