Website Soulpepper Theatre Company
Soulpepper Theatre Company is an artist-centred company that celebrates the stories that move us and, the artists who tell them. We share our work through a variety of platforms, engaging audiences, inspiring youth in our city, and training the next generation of theatre artists through the Soulpepper Academy. Soulpepper is proud to be North America’s only year-round repertory company.
Soulpepper is seeking an experienced Technical Director who will embrace and contribute to new and challenging ways of getting from productions from the page to the stage.
Soulpepper Theatre Company’s Technical Director works as an integral part of the creative process in collaboration with each productions’ designers and the Director of Production, with the responsibility for the technical implementation of Soulpepper’s production values. The Technical Director has primary responsibility for management of all technical elements of Soulpepper, and the Young Centre for the Performing Arts, under the terms of a management agreement between Soulpepper and the Young Centre.
- Manages a team of six direct reports, including Department Heads, Assistant Technical Directors, and Production Assistants or Interns; As well as unionized technical staff in all areas and venues.
- Establish and manage both material and labour costing for all production elements; technical and scenic.
- Communicates with designers to realize production’s designs while keeping within budgetary constraints.
- Ensure all production elements are delivered on schedule and on budget; and reports to the Director of Production as to the status of production budgets at weekly meetings.
- Liaises with Stage Management for notes, and for the smooth transition from shops to technical rehearsal
- Engages staff and crew in consultation with the Director of Production.
- Manages the installation of all scenic elements in the theatres.
- Assist the Young Centre’s Manager Building Ops with the YC’s activities and related logistics as required.
- Consults with the GBC Production Manager on performance activities and related logistics as required.
- Manages the build process in the carpentry, paint and prop shops, including scheduling, timely supply of required materials, and safe operations consistent with health and safety policies, maintaining a production quality of the highest standard.
- Completion of a post-secondary degree from a recognized University, College, or Technical Theatre training institution; or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of ten (10) years experience in all aspects of technical theatre with a minimum of three (3) years as a working Technical Director is expected. This should include some time as an Assistant Technical Director and/or Crew Chief with experience working with union Stagehands.
- Working knowledge of the Canadian Theatre Agreement (CTA), and other association agreements such as Associated Designers of Canada (ADC), and the TMA, etc.
- Knowledge of structural and mechanical construction for the stage, both materials and techniques, including welding, rigging and painting. Product, material, pricing and logistics research skills. Some knowledge of hydraulics, pneumatics, and electrical systems.
- Proficiency in MS Office, very strong skills in AutoCAD, and other various computer aided drafting platforms.
- A thorough knowledge of theatrical lighting, sound, and projection systems; and comprehensive knowledge of QLAB.
- A working knowledge of Ontario’s Employment Standards Act, and Occupational Health and Safety Act, with specific regards to the live performance guidelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, integrity, creativity, a collaborative spirit, and the cultural sensitivity needed to work effectively in a diverse environment of artists, producers, creative and management teams.
- Must hold a valid and clean G-Class Ontario driver’s license.
How To Apply:
Soulpepper is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community and our country. As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome and encourage submissions from individuals with proper credentials, of all genders, cultures, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. Soulpepper is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. Soulpepper invites candidates who may require assistance during the application and/or hiring process, to let us know and we will work with them to meet their needs. Soulpepper thanks all candidates for their interest however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Only candidates with legal authorization to work in Canada will be considered.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received; interviews will be held shortly after submission with a starting date as soon as negotiated after acceptable interview. This posting will not close until an appropriate candidate is chosen.
Please send a résumé and cover letter (including salary expectations) detailing how you can contribute to this dynamic, not-for-profit arts organization.
To: Search Committee – Technical Director
Please quote TD20S on the subject line when applying by email.
Applications will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.