Website Shaw Festival Theatre, Canada
As one of the world’s leading theatre companies and Niagara’s 20 largest employers, The Shaw is dedicated to an ongoing process of increasing diversity and inclusion in our audiences, our programs, and in all our hiring for staff, artists, and in the recruiting of board members. The Shaw is committed to a future when our theatres joyously draw on and include all peoples, fully reflective of the world around us. As such, the Shaw Festival is an equal opportunity employer committed to a barrier-free recruitment and selection process. We encourage and invite applications from applicants who identify as Indigenous, Black or as persons of colour (IBPOC), the LGBTQ2+ communities and those identifying as gender female. In accordance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), and in keeping with our wish to ensure a fully inclusive environment, please advise Human Resources if you require an accommodation throughout the recruitment process. We will be happy to assist.
We acknowledge and honour the land upon which we gather as the historic and traditional territory of First Nations peoples. In particular we recognize and thank the Neutral Nation, the Mississauga and the Haudenosaunee for their stewardship of these lands over millennia.
Assistant Head of Scenic Art
The Shaw Festival is seeking applications for a full time seasonal Assistant Head of Scenic Art. This position is included in the jurisdiction of IATSE Local 828 as outlined in its collective bargaining agreement (CBA) with the Shaw Festival.
· Supervise the shop floor for the painting and finishing of scenery as assigned by the Head of Scenic Art (HOD)
· Assists in the determination of staffing, methods, materials and training.
· Scenic painting and finishing of assigned scenic elements
· Assists with departmental administration including scheduling, costing and R&D
· Builds positive personnel relationships and resolves conflicts, using professional discretion.
· In consultation with the HOD, ensures the readiness of all Scenic Art supplies, equipment, facilities and maintenance.
· Develops improved methods to support Shaw Festival production
· Demonstrated operational knowledge of scenic art practices and protocols – minimum 5 years paint shop experience with at least 2 years in a supervisory role.
· Proficient understanding of scenic art methods, materials and related systems and maintenance.
· Strong abilities in drawing, drafting, painting, finishes, soft goods
· Good written and oral communication skills; works well as part of a team; a positive attitude and a sense of humour also helps.
· Proven time management and organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
· Knowledge of Health and Safety compliance, WHIMIS and Working at Heights certification is essential.
· Demonstrated knowledge of shop equipment, ladders, scaffolding, spray equipment, elevated work platforms and company vehicles (G class driver’s license with a clean driving record required)
· This is a physically demanding position. It involves heavy lifting, mixing large quantities of paint, folding, unfolding and lifting soft goods, working from ladders, scaffolds and lifts.
· A post-secondary education in a technical theatre program would be considered an asset
· A member of IATSE in good standing
Current hourly rate as per our Scenic Art CBA: $31.50 + benefits
Please note: All newly hired employees must provide proof of Full Vaccination status prior to their first date of work.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume prior to 4:00pm November 26, 2021 to:
Human Resources, Director
Shaw Festival Theatre
10 Queen’s Parade, Box 774
Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON L0S 1J0
While all responses are appreciated, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.