Deepening understanding of the disability experience
Realwheels is an award-winning theatre company with a mandate to create and produce performances that deepen audiences’ understanding of the disability experience. Our community theatre projects nurture the development of emerging artists, and introduce audiences to the vast range of talent and creativity residing in the disability community.
Full inclusion and integration of disability both on – and off – Canadian stages; a barrier-free, diverse performing arts world that reflects the real world and all of its people.
- Authenticity in representing disability;
- Innovation in content, presentation and/or technology;
- Inclusiveness in working with professionally trained artists with disabilities, and advocating for equity for performers, backstage workers, and patrons with disabilities.
The General Manager plays a key role in the administrative and managerial direction of the company. This role marks an exciting evolution, as the General Manager will work in close partnership with the Artistic Director and report to the Board of Directors.
The General Manager will work co-operatively with the Artistic Director to plan, fundraise, develop, coordinate, schedule, produce, and evaluate a variety of theatre-based projects, including professional productions, community engagement projects, and ancillary activities designed to increase equity and inclusion for persons with disabilities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Developing and managing the budget and cash flow of the organization
- Together with Artistic Director, applying and reporting to Municipal, Provincial and Federal grants and exploring new funding opportunities
- Fundraising, including creating and executing strategies for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individuals, corporations, foundations
- Marketing – both organizational and for individual projects
- Supervising show-related activity including Box Office, Production and Volunteer Co-ordination and other logistics
- Implementing outreach for community engagement projects
- Hiring part-time, full-time and seasonal employees in consultation with the Artistic Director
- Supervising support staff
- Negotiating and contracting with self-employed personnel
- Together with the Artistic Director, ensuring compliance with applicable collective agreements
- Coordinating website and social media updates
- Reporting to the Board on operational matters
- Performing other administrative duties as needed to fulfill the role
The ideal candidate will be independent, resourceful, and passionate about theatre, with the following skills/experience:
- University degree in arts administration or comparable experience
Strong management experience in office systems, budgeting, finance and marketing
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Familiarity with the Vancouver and Canadian performing arts community and the Independent Theatre Agreement
- Familiarity with or significant interest in issues around social justice and equity for persons with disability
- Ability to multi-task and work independently, without direct supervision
- Enthusiasm for a collaborative work environment and partnership-building
- Experience working with community and community organizations will be considered an asset
Hours: 4 days/week equivalent. Flexibility of hours may be considered. Some evening and weekend work may be expected
Salary Range: $36,000 – $40,000, commensurate with experience and negotiated hours of work.
Please submit a letter of application and a resume (in one Word file) to:
Realwheels strongly supports and values diversity and fosters an equitable and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from women, persons of colour, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and members of other marginalized or under-represented groups. We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.