Website Persephone Theatre
Live on Stage in the Heart of Saskatoon
Persephone Theatre, a leading cultural institution in the City of Saskatoon is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic, resourceful team player that thrives in a hands-on, creative environment to be its new Controller.
Reporting directly to the General Manager (GM), the Controller will work collaboratively with a wide variety of staff, artists, and business professionals to ensure sound financial management of this Registered Charity and medium sized Not for Profit Corporation. The Controller supervises one part-time bookkeeper and acts as a knowledgeable resource for the rest of the organization. The work is detailed-oriented and includes tasks that are recurring and repetitive in nature as well as ones that are highly customizable. The incumbent will be required to work independently and will need to be able to manage competing priorities. Work will generally occur in an office setting, on a Monday – Friday.
Qualifications and skills:
· Appropriate accounting designation and a minimum 5 years of finance experience at a senior level including staff supervision, preferably in the not for profit sector;
· Extensive experience with QuickBooks or equivalent;
· Skill and confidence with a operating budget of $3.5M+;
· Have a good working knowledge of payroll systems including experience with contract workers and collective agreements
· Collaborative and works well in a team based environment;
· Ability to work well under pressure and meeting deadlines while managing multiple priorities;
· Ability to analyze complex systems to find improvements in efficiency and accuracy, and implement the necessary changes within the appropriate delegated authorities;
· Ability to collaboratively work to advance procedures and or financial policy development;
· Successful background check and ability to be bonded;
· Intermediate competence with the Microsoft Office Suite particularly MS Excel;
· Excellent communication, organization and time management skills.
Nature of the Work:
· General AP/AR duties as divided with the Bookkeeper
· Bank account reconciliations
· Preparation and filing of GST, LCT, PST, Not for Profit and annual Charity returns
· Invoicing, posting payments received
· Statutory remittances, ROE, T4 and T4A
· Raffle licences and required reporting
· Perform cash flow analysis and planning to ensure availability of funds as needed
· Monitor and confirm financial condition by conducting internal audits
· Journal entries for deferred and unearned revenue, prepaid expenses, accruals and reversals
· Monthly and quarterly financials statements and other reporting as required including grants
· Support the creation of and management of budgets, and the preparation of year-end financial statements
· Inventory reconciliations for various departments
· Act as the Group Benefits administrator advisor on behalf of the corporation
Key competencies include:
· Ability to understand Persephone Theatre’s business model
· A hands-on manager and teammate who has integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment. High ethical and professional standards
· Possesses leadership qualities to enable delegation and oversight of the financial operations of the company effectively. These qualities include emotional intelligence; self-awareness, self regulation, motivation, empathy and social skills
· The capacity to resolve different points of view constructively and bring cohesion to a wide array of stakeholders while interacting with them in a positive manner, treating them fairly, and listening carefully to what others have to say
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Persephone Theatre is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatre’s and operates within the jurisdiction of the Canadian Theatre Agreement.
Commitment to Diversity
Persephone Theatre is an equal-opportunity employer and strongly supports and values diversity in the workplace. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome.
We wish to acknowledge that Persephone Theatre is on Treaty 6 land, which includes the Nêhiyawak (Cree) as original signatories and became the traditional homeland of the Métis Nation. We also acknowledge the contributions of the Dakota and Round Prairie Métis peoples in establishing our city of Saskatoon and we extend our appreciation for the opportunity to live, create and perform on this beautiful territory.
Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.