One Yellow Rabbit is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced team player to fill the contract position of Artist Liaison for the 34th Annual High Performance Rodeo, Calgary’s International Festival of the Arts.
A key member of the High Performance Rodeo team, and reporting to the Festival Producer, the Artist Liaison delivers an exceptional experience for creative participants at the festival. This role oversees travel, accommodations, scheduling, rider requests, accreditation, and hospitality for festival artists; ensures wellbeing, and provides support. A representative for the High Performance Rodeo, they will host performances, artist talks, special events, engaging in relationships with community and partner organizations.
Fee: $9,000 total contract fee
Contract dates: Ideal start date for this position is November 4, 2019, with a contracted end date of January 31, 2020.
Schedule: This contract position is estimated at 35 hours per week in November and December, with extended hours during the festival January 8 – 26, 2020. It is an expectation of all applicants that they be available for full-time/festival hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Liaise with artists and their representatives before, during and after productions in the High Performance Rodeo.
- Work with fellow staff to ensure the best available standards of hospitality and inclusiveness for the artists we welcome. Oversee hospitality for artists and members of creative teams; be familiar with all requirements, access needs, and special requests.
- Oversee travel, accommodation, and transportation requirements for all participating and visiting artists.
- Act as the primary liaison to the High Performance Rodeo’s accommodation provider.
- Create and distribute Artist welcome packages.
- Manage and distribute cash per diem to visiting Artists as needed
- Coordinate artist attendance at media interviews (in concert with Festival Publicist) and additional Festival activities as needed.
- Work closely with Production Manager regarding venue needs and artist schedules (load in / out, riders, green room hospitality, etc.)
- Create detailed itineraries for all artist transportation needs, including airport pickups and returns, off-site interviews and events, etc.
- Be on the ground and readily available for the duration of the High Performance Rodeo for all event-related questions and concerns.
- Deliver Festival pre-show chats and host artist talkbacks; take on Festival hosting and communications duties when required as a key member of the team.
- Assist with planning and execution of ancillary Festival events and programs as needed.
- Produce well-organized records for archival purposes, including expense reports and budgets, petty cash, and take part in a post- mortem process after the conclusion of the Festival.
- Other duties as required.
We are looking for a candidate with:
- A strong background in performing arts, live events, and/or artistic producing. Those candidates with previous experience in events management, hospitality, and/or relevant experiences from other fields are encouraged to apply.
- A passion for building community, and supporting an inclusive environment for all artists so they can work at their best.
- An ability to troubleshoot and multitask in a fast-paced, festival environment; working both independently and in close collaboration with a team.
- Excellent communication skills – listening, receiving, clarifying, and conveying. Comfort with public speaking, and experience in hospitality, client, and customer service is an asset.
- Advanced organizational skills and knowledge of budgets; documenting and tracking expenses, cash handling.
- A valid driver’s license and ability to drive rental vehicles will be considered an asset, as is access to a vehicle for use during the contract.
To apply for this position please email the following materials to email@example.com by Friday August 19 at 5pm with the subject heading ARTIST LIAISON HPR2020:
- A cover letter detailing your interest in the position addressed to Laurel Green, Festival Producer
- A resume that highlights your relevant experience
- 2 references with current contact information
The High Performance Rodeo is committed to employment equity and diversity, and encourage applications from all interested individuals. We can provide training in certain aspects of the position, and want to support the right candidate to be successful in this contract role.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only those candidates offered an interview will be contacted.
About the High Performance Rodeo:
For three wild weeks in January, One Yellow Rabbit’s High Performance Rodeo, Calgary’s International Festival of the Arts, is where the action is. It’s a chance to watch touring performances from across Canada, acclaimed international shows, and new and experimental work from artists here in Calgary. The programming is bold, cutting-edge, funny, frank, and full of heart. There’s theatre, dance, music, film, free lunchtime concerts, late-night cabarets, and so much more. Shows in the basement of the Calgary Tower, at the Royal Canadian Legion, in the +15’s, a wrestling ring, an elevator, in City Hall, Eau Claire Market, the Glenbow, Central Library, Big Secret Theatre, Lunchbox, DJD, and the Jack Singer Concert Hall.
The High Performance Rodeo takes over downtown Calgary in all shapes, sizes, and sounds – defying description and tantalizing the tastes of arts and culture lovers. Audiences brave the January cold or revel in the chinook heat-wave, comb over the festival guide, and come out to play. The High Performance Rodeo is about championing creativity, building community, celebrating diverse voices, and promoting self-expression in all forms. For 33 years, the festival has been a launching pad for local artists and a spotlight onto the world’s stage. It’s a unique experience that only happens in Calgary.