Start Date: July 1, 2020
Obsidian is Canada’s leading culturally specific theatre company. Our threefold mission is to produce plays, to develop playwrights and to train emerging theatre professionals. Obsidian is passionately dedicated to the exploration, development, and production of the Black voice. Obsidian produces plays from a world-wide canon focusing primarily, but not exclusively, on the works of highly acclaimed Black playwrights. Obsidian provides artistic support, promoting the development of work by Black theatre makers and offering training opportunities through mentoring and apprenticeship programs for emerging Black artists.
Obsidian Theatre Company was born out of a passionate sense of artistic responsibility – a responsibility to bring the Black voice, in its many artistic dialects, to Canada’s cultural forefront. Obsidian encourages Black artists to expand their vision of what they perceive, create and present to a national audience. Obsidian continues to play a prominent role in Canada’s theatrical mosaic by showcasing the work of both emerging and established Black artists.
Since its inception, our development programs have led many artists to expand their professional development and create new Canadian works. Through our training programs, we produce plays, develop playwrights and train emerging theatre professionals.
We are seeking a dynamic leader who can embody the role of mentor and artistic visionary with elegance; a person who will sustain and grow Obsidian responsibly; who will continue to build Obsidian’s power and share it with members of our community in the spirit of radical generosity. Our new AD will maintain the company value that at Obsidian everyone, no matter the job, has a place, and voice at the table.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Artistic Director will report to the Board. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Creating and activating the artistic vision
- Devising new initiatives
- Programming each season
- Researching and reading plays
- Building collaborative partnerships
- Directing season productions, workshops, etc. (if you are a director)
- Mentoring theatre artists in an ongoing manner
- Meeting and communicating with theatre artists nationally, as well as internationally
- Be a resource for theatres throughout the country
- Representing Obsidian on panels, forums as well as keynote speaker
- The administration of the season: this, typically, is 2-4 productions (depending on size and partnerships) plus oversight of our various training programs, general auditions and any other programming events and productions.
- Fundraising , grant writing and liaising with funding agencies, planning and implementing fundraising initiatives with staff, and the Board.
- Board and community liaison, strategic and long-term planning
working with General Manager to develop and execute annual operating budget and financial forecasting including cash flow statements and the setting of financial resource acquisition goals.
The ideal candidate will have:
• proven leadership capability
• minimum 3 years of theatre leadership, administration, OR commensurate experience
• successful track record with grant writing and/or fundraising
• ability to translate artistic needs and values into institutional strategies and specific operating plans
• creativity, vision, and a sense of humour
• keen sense of fiscal management, business acumen, and experience in working with a Board of Directors would be an asset
Beyond that, however: we are looking for someone to be inspired and inspire us with an artistic vision for the company that will “lean into Blackness”, continuing to set the standard for Black excellence in Canadian theatre.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit:
- your resume
- letter of intent including expanding on each of the following questions:
a) What does Artistic Directorship mean to you?
b) How are you a community leader?
c) Please describe the role mentorship plays, or has played in your life.
d) In recent years, works by artists of colour have been produced in increasing numbers by a range of theatres across the country. Please discuss Obsidian’s relevance in this changing theatre ecology.
Please email the above to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15th, 2019. E-mail submissions only please.