Nightwood Theatre forges creative alliances among women artists from diverse backgrounds in order to develop and produce exceptional works for the stage. As Canada’s foremost feminist theatre since 1979, Nightwood has launched the careers of many of the leading theatre artists in the country. We are an established and nationally respected company, with professional leadership (past and current) that has been publicly acclaimed for being mavericks in artistic excellence, gender equity in the arts and the successful training/development of emerging female artists. Now entering our 40th season, we remain actively engaged in propelling emerging, mid-career and senior female theatre artists on the local, national and international stage.
Nightwood Theatre is currently seeking a full time Head of Development. Reporting directly to the Managing Director, and working in tandem with the Artistic Director and Managing Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, development and implementation of Nightwood Theatre’s development and fundraising strategies.
● The envisioning and execution of Nightwood’s Individual Giving and Corporate Campaigns, involving acquisition, solicitation, and stewardship.
● Evaluation of changing trends in philanthropy and the development of new programs responsive to the fundraising needs of the theatre.
● Timely completion of tax receipting, in accordance with Canadian Revenue Agency legislation, including recording all donations and stewarding member benefits.
● Coordination of donor renewal campaigns in association with the Artistic Director, including oversight and creation of pledge materials and letters used in direct solicitation to individuals and corporations.
● Researching, qualifying, soliciting and stewarding corporate sponsorships and donations, as well as foundation applications and solicitation.
● Overseeing and implementing special fundraising and appreciation events.
● Overseeing development activities as they relate to the Lawyer Show, including silent auction and sponsorship solicitation. These activities shall include working with the Lawyer Show Fundraising Committee to solicit and steward sponsoring firms, follow ups, researching new sponsorship possibilities, securing silent auction items, etc.
● Ability to effectively prioritize opportunities and activities.
● Financial management skills (including departmental budgeting and tracking) and human resource management skills (interpersonal skills).
● Knowledge of data management, record-keeping systems and tax receipting procedures and requirements.
● High proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) / Google Suite apps (Sheets, Docs, Slides). Familiarity with Mac operating system and working knowledge of Sumac is an asset.
● Detail-oriented, able to meet deadlines and handle concurrent projects, with a strong track record of fulfilling commitments.
● Strong people skills to deal effectively with different stakeholders.
● Knowledge of laws, regulations and ethical principles relevant to this position.
● Thrives on working independently and is capable of working in a team environment.
● Excellent knowledge of Toronto’s/Canada’s theatre scene and a passion for culture.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working 40 hours per week. Flexible working hours are provided. There will be requirements to work flextime with evening and weekend work, as the position demands.
Salary: $42,000 annually, plus benefits.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants must submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references no later than 5:00 pm EST on March 15, 2020. Please apply by EMAIL ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org re: Head of Development. For any questions regarding this position, please contact Beth Brown, Managing Director at email@example.com.
Nightwood Theatre is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to reflecting our country’s diversity. Nightwood is committed to creating spaces that are trans inclusive and that recognize a multitude of intersectional identities, which include race, ability, sexual orientation, age, and gender identity among others. We encourage candidates of numerous intersectionalities to apply.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.