Website Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity is more than just a great place to work – we are one of Canada’s most unique employers. As the largest postgraduate arts and leadership school in the country, our campus is alive with artists, leaders, and thinkers from around the world. From Sales to Customer Services, Marketing to Finance, Front-of-house to behind-the-scenes, be part of something truly world class while fulfilling your career goals.
Head of Projection Technology – term ending March 31, 2020.
The Head of Projection Technology is responsible for ensuring the delivery of all projection production needs for all events, programs and conferences administrated by Performing Arts. They assist in the production planning process by advising and assisting the Technical Manager and Production Manager in matters relating to the projection department.
Reporting to the Technical Manager, Performing Arts, may also receive day-to-day direction and supervision from the Production Manager, Performing Arts. The Head of Projection Technology must be able to direct the work activities of 4 to 6 department staff doing relatively similar jobs or tasks.
- Responsible for administration of the projection technology department including supervision of assigned crews, with attention to safety procedures and within the supplied frameworks of budget, equipment, space and time.
- Ensures the timely execution of all projection activity involved in the load in, set-up, operation and strike. Will be required to take on projection responsibilities in a variety Banff Centre studios, venues, departments and divisions
- Actively participate in the program, conference and event planning process by:
- Reviewing proposed designs and schedules to identify where these present challenges and collaborates with Technical Manager to develop solutions that meet budget, equipment, space, and time parameters
- Communicating effectively with both internal and external stakeholders
- Initiates purchase orders for all supplemental equipment required to execute agreed upon designs
- Receive all orders using Banff Centre financial systems in a timely manner
- Be knowledgeable of related industry trends, including the application of up to date techniques and use of special materials, current health and safety standards as well as complying with the Banff Centre health and safety policy, job procedures, safe work practices and proper use of equipment.
- Help foster a strong, participatory and interactive working relation among the projection department and within Banff Centre, to allow the free exchange of knowledge and the development of a strong team of technicians.
- Maintain projection equipment and facilities to ensure it is in top running order
- Actively participate in departmental planning process including inventory management, equipment renewal/replacement and attending production meeting.
- Responsible for identifying areas within the projection department where training or knowledge could be improved and propose training solutions to management
- Participate in the practicum program planning
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- A minimum of 7 years as a practicing projections technician and/or designer, with at least 3 years in a Head of Department position.
- A post-secondary degree relating to technical theatre or equivalent experience
- Proficient in the use of computers and multi-media and able to operate specialized equipment.
- Working knowledge of projection technology theories and practices.
- Comfortable working in both Windows and MacOS environments.
- Possess knowledge of related industry trends including the application of up to date techniques, and use of special materials and current health and safety standards.
- Experience with video playback software including WATCHOUT, Isadora and Q-Lab is required. Additional/similar platforms would be considered an asset.
- Experience with content creation and editing software such as Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro, Maya and Davinci Resolve (or similar) is required.
- Experience servicing Christie projectors would be considered an asset.
- Experience drafting using Vectorworks would be considered an asset.
- Experience planning and executing outdoor and touring events would be considered an asset.
- Experience mentoring add/or teaching is preferred.
- Able to apply professional theatre techniques and methods to provide the quality, efficiency and support level required by Performing Arts.
From time-to-time, the Head may be required to work irregular hours and weekends.