Driven by a passion to serve its audiences in bold and innovative ways, Gateway Theatre enriches the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding artistic programs and serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts.
Gateway’s staff is an eclectic team with multifaceted expertise. As a group we take risks, we empower, we go beyond, we listen. At Gateway we embrace difference as something that challenges our understanding and stretches us to grow. So, if you won’t settle for the expected, you have found your crew.
Being located in Richmond, we aim to serve the people who live in this city to the best of our ability. As the number of Chinese families residing in Richmond have been increasing in recent years and now make up a large percentage of the population, we hope to make them feel welcomed and be a part of our Gateway Theatre community. We are looking for a Marketing Assistant who is passionate about bringing arts and culture to Chinese-speaking audiences by creating engaging and relevant content. As such, the ability to communicate in both spoken and written Chinese is essential for this role.
The Marketing Assistant will gain career-related work experience by working closely with the Marketing Manager and Marketing Coordinator in the Audience and Revenue Development department. This department consists of the Director of Audience and Revenue Development, and both the marketing and fund development teams. As our organization navigates through this new landscape created by a global pandemic, you will learn to experiment and participate in development of innovative ideas, strategies, and content to continually engage our audiences and stay relevant to the community we serve.
Responsibilities will include
- Research, plan, and curate engaging content for Gateway’s WeChat account
- Translate and proofread marketing content in Simplified Chinese
- Conduct market research and analyze current marketing trends
- Manage the Gateway Theatre’s brand on WeChat
- Provide excellent customer service to client inquiries through WeChat
- Assist the Audience Revenue and Development team with other tasks
Experience & Qualifications
- Strong written translation skills in Chinese and English
- Fluent in verbal and written communication skills in English and Mandarin
- Strong understanding of Chinese culture
- Strong knowledge writing and designing articles, and marketing best practices on WeChat
- Superior detail orientation and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program.
- The successful applicant must:
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee status in Canada
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment for a period of 13 weeks
- Not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week)
- Not be attending full-time classes while carrying out this job
- Priority will be given to applications from candidates who self-identify as being part of underrepresented groups or as having additional barriers to entering or staying in the labour market as outlined below:
- New immigrant/refugee youth (new is defined as having arrived in Canada in the past 5 years)
- Visible minorities/racialized youth
- LGBTQ2 youth
Note: You may be required to work remotely from home due to COVID-19 until our administration office is reopened.
Gateway Theatre strives to be an equitable and inclusive workplace. We value an open and diverse community that fosters the inclusion of many different voices. We encourage applications from members of communities that have been marginalized based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, or status as an Indigenous person. Please note any required accommodations in your cover letter.
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your suitability for the position to Wendy Tsui, Marketing Manager, at email@example.com with the subject line as “Marketing Assistant Application”. Deadline by May 16, 2021. We thank all applicants, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.