Driven by a passion to serve its audiences in bold and innovative ways, Gateway Theatre enriches the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding artistic programs and serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts.
Gateway’s staff is an eclectic team with multifaceted expertise. As a group we take risks, we empower, we go beyond, we listen. At Gateway we embrace difference as something that challenges our understanding and stretches us to grow. So, if you won’t settle for the expected, you have found your crew.
Reporting to the Patron Services Associate, the Front of House Supervisor is a personable and adaptable individual responsible for coordinating the front of house during events. The Front of House Supervisor oversees a team of casual staff and volunteers and works cooperatively with other operational staff to ensure the smooth execution of each event. Candidates may come to this position with a background in customer service, volunteer coordination, event planning or similar / related environments.
Responsibilities will include
- Supervising and coaching front of house staff and volunteers
- Efficiently coordinating the front of house operations during events, communicating with other operational departments to ensure prompt show start times and intermissions
- Troubleshooting any challenges that may arise during an event or performance and documenting them
- Responding to patron enquiries and conveying questions to the appropriate staff member for follow up as needed
- Delivering exceptional customer service while demonstrating and upholding Gateway Theatre’s values and policies
- Preparing and submitting detailed written reports for each event
- Representing Gateway Theatre in a professional, welcoming, and inclusive manner
Experience, Qualifications & Attributes
- Experience and comfort in leading a team
- Fluency in English, both oral and written
- Cantonese or Mandarin language skills are an asset, but not required
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Calm under pressure, with the ability to adapt to change at short notice, and a desire to learn and develop
- Ability to listen to concerns and respond to challenges with creativity and generosity
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to delegate and prioritize tasks in a confident manner
- Ability to move between independent self-directed tasks and collaborative work
- Comfortable working alone and able to lift heavy supplies on occasion
- Experience and comfort with public speaking
- Experience in customer service, hospitality, or event management
- Experience working with or overseeing volunteers
- Experience working with point of sale systems is an asset
- Over 19 years of age with a valid “Serving it Right” certificate and Foodsafe Level 1 certificate
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 certificate is required (training will be provided by employer if required)
- Experience with equity, inclusion, and anti-oppression policies and practices
- Legally able to work in Canada (Canadian citizenship, permanent residency or existing open work permit)
- The Front of House Supervisor may be asked to provide proof of double vaccination
Candidates with relevant, transferable skills who do not exactly meet the above specification are encouraged to apply.
Gateway Theatre strives to be an equitable and inclusive workplace. We value an open and diverse community that fosters the inclusion of many different voices. We encourage applications from members of communities that have been marginalized based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, or status as an Indigenous person. Please note any required accommodations in your cover letter.
Please send a resume and cover letter outlining your suitability for the position to Oona Iverson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline 5pm November 12. We thank all applicants, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.