Website Gateway Theatre
Status: Full Time, Permanent
Hours of Work: Office hours / evenings and weekends as required
Compensation: $60,000 to $65,000 per annum
Benefits: Extended benefits plan; pension plan; optional partial remote working; paid sick days; three weeks paid leave to start
Driven by a passion to serve its audiences in bold and innovative ways, Gateway Theatre enriches the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding artistic offerings and by serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts. To achieve our organizational mission and connect with the changing population of Richmond, we employ staff with eclectic and multifaceted expertise. As a group we take risks, we empower, we go beyond, we listen. We embrace difference as something that challenges our understanding and provokes our growth. So, if you won’t settle for the expected, you have found your crew.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Production Services Manager oversees the realization of the logistical, staging and technical elements of projects at Gateway, on and off our stages. They are a key member of the administrative team, working most closely with the artistic, rentals, education and patron services staff in ensuring the effective execution of performances and events, as well as playing a role on the management team. Candidates may come to this position with a background in event production, in stage management, in technical theatre or similar/related environments.
Gateway is a PACT member with a 540-seat mainstage theatre, an 85-seat studio, plus a rehearsal hall. The venue was recently upgraded to full LED lighting, and plans and proposals are underway for sound and AV refits. Gateway’s own artistic offerings are evolving; future seasons are likely to include one to two produced shows, one to two presented shows, plus other artistic events, performances and projects outside of traditional theatre. The Production Services Manager will be involved in all of these activities. Currently, the Production Services Manager is only peripherally involved in rental events at Gateway and has a limited role in education programming.
Responsibilities will include
– Leading the activities of the department team (Production Services Associate, two IATSE Venue Techs, plus casual IATSE crew)
– Establishing and managing department budgets
– Participating in the planning of artistic offerings
– Managing and/or supporting the realisation of produced and presented artistic offerings
– Ensuring the maintenance of performance-related spaces and equipment
– Planning the long-term technical equipment needs of the facility
Duties are adaptable for the right candidate.
Experience & Qualifications
Candidates with relevant, transferable skills who do not exactly meet the below are encouraged to apply.
– Approximately three to five years’ experience overseeing the execution of artistic events
– Strong interpersonal, leadership and relationship-building skills
– Proven ability to think strategically, to manage others and to delegate work
– Demonstrated skills as an effective manager of people in union and non-union environments
– Broad understanding of technical theatre and/or events
– Experience creating, monitoring and adhering to budgets, production calendars, and schedules
– Diplomacy and tact in negotiating and mediating artistic and technical discussions
– Ability to provide accurate staffing and production budget estimates upon reviewing tech riders, scripts, or proposals
– Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, and allocate time and resources
– Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
– Good computer skills, including competence with Excel and knowledge of industry-specific software such as Vectorworks
– Experience reading ground plans, light plots, and other theatrical specifications plus a basic knowledge of ETC lighting & Yamaha digital consoles are assets
– An adaptive, innovative and flexible approach to work
– A personal commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion learning and practices
– An enthusiasm for working collaboratively with diverse individuals and in team settings
– A commitment to both community-engaged and fully professional arts shows and events
– Legally able to work in Canada (Canadian citizenship, permanent residency or existing open work permit)
Gateway Theatre strives to be an equitable and inclusive workplace. We value an open and diverse community that fosters the inclusion of many different voices. We encourage applications from members of communities that have been marginalized based on sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, or identity as an Indigenous person. We welcome self-identification in your application. Please also note any accommodations or accessibility requirements in your cover letter.
Please email your resume and a cover letter outlining your suitability for the position to Camilla Tibbs firstname.lastname@example.org with “Production Services Manager” in the subject line. Application Deadline 5pm Wednesday February 9th, 2022. We thank all applicants, but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.