Website Toronto Fringe Festival
The Toronto Fringe is a platform for everyone to access, discover, and experiment with the arts. By valuing creative experiences, we contribute to a healthy arts economy and, ultimately, a thriving society.
The Fringe Patio Technical Director is responsible for the overall technical management of POSTSCRIPT, the Fringe Patio. The Fringe Patio Technical Director will work with the Projects & Operations Manager to ensure all technical aspects of the Fringe Patio are completed.
SAFETY AND SECURITY OF FRINGE PATIO VENUE AND EQUIPMENT
- Responsible for reasonable security and safety of the Fringe Patio venue and all technical equipment, and for the safe set-up and operation of the Fringe Patio venue and equipment, including any build requirements for the Fringe Patio.
- Create/update Fringe Patio technician roles and responsibilities guidelines
- Hire and supervise qualified technical staff for Fringe Patio
- Be present at the Fringe Patio throughout the Festival (trading off with the Assistant Patio TD) to be on hand to troubleshoot technical issues and general security concerns
VENUE EQUIPMENT, FESTIVAL SET-UP AND TAKE DOWN
- Assess the Fringe Patio venue for equipment needs and determine lighting and sound equipment, power requirements, cabling, and any other technical equipment needs
- Arrange to rent/borrow equipment for Fringe, and facilitate pick-ups and returns for all required rentals
- With the Projects & Operations Manager, prepare a Fringe Patio production budget
SERVICES FOR / AND RELATIONSHIP WITH FRINGE PATIO PERFORMERS/PARTNERS
- Create/revise a floor plan, lighting plot, stage plot, and equipment list for Fringe Patio
- Review and prepare technical information for communiqués for Fringe Patio performers
- Be available for consultation and site visits in advance of the Festival
- Stop any activity or tech request that may be inconsistent with the safe operation of the Fringe Patio
- Troubleshoot any performer or activation problems regarding technical needs
- Keep the Projects & Operations Manager, Executive Director, Managing Director, and (when necessary) the Director of Production, and other Fringe staff apprised of all schedules and other pertinent information
- Attend all staff meetings during contract dates, when possible (Mondays, 11am)
- Attend the all staff in-person post mortem meeting (July 19, 2019)
- Other duties related to the position of the Technical Director may be assigned at a later date. It is hereby understood that such duties will not be unreasonably assigned, nor will the execution of such duties be unreasonably withheld.
- Technical expertise
- Formal training in theatre technical direction or significant relevant senior experience
- Up-to-date knowledge of best practices in managing technical requirements in outdoor event venues
- Experience and understanding for how to provide and regulate power in an outdoor event venue
- Ability to understand and trouble shoot issues with power, sound, lighting, and any other technical elements required (ie. LED screen, wifi, etc.)
- Experience and up-to-date knowledge of standards of safety in built elements (ie. stage, purpose built structures, etc.)
- Project management
- Creation and dissemination of schedules
- Management of budgets for office, rentals, and special projects
- Hiring and scheduling of contract staff
- Ensure implementation and execution of all plans
- Good organization
- Customer service
- Leadership and mentorship
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, react quickly to changing circumstances
- Ability to deescalate and de-stress situations, staff, patrons, etc.
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful or difficult situations
- Sensitivity and understanding of race, abilities, ages, etc.
- G class license
Nice to Haves:
- Up-to-date First Aid certification
How to Apply:
Please outline your interest and qualifications in a cover letter and resume, and email as one PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: 2019 Fringe Patio TD Application
The Toronto Fringe is committed to employment equity and diversity; we welcome and encourage applications from people living with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are considered confidential.