Website Soulpepper Theatre Company
ORGANIZATION: Soulpepper Theatre Company
ROLE: Executive Director
COMPANY WEBSITE: https://www.soulpepper.ca/
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
DIRECT REPORTS: 9 staff members
TYPE: Permanent, Full Time
Soulpepper Theatre Company (Soulpepper) is Toronto’s largest not-for-profit theatre company. Founded and guided by artists, Soulpepper has an integrated mission which includes: industry-leading youth outreach initiatives; the Soulpepper Academy, Canada’s only multi-year paid professional training program for theatre artists of all disciplines; and a diverse repertory season which is grounded in the classics and committed to the creation of new works, new forms and innovative practices.
Founded in 1998 with two summer productions, Soulpepper operates with 350 full- and part-time arts workers, with an annual budget of just under $12 million. It is located in the multi-venue Young Centre for the Performing Arts in Toronto’s Distillery Historic District.
Soulpepper is proud to be Canada’s only year-round repertory company. We are also one of the most active commissioning bodies in Canada, developing new original work, devised creations, and vital Canadian translations and adaptations.
This is a unique opportunity to co-lead one of Canada’s most dynamic and successful theatre companies. Soulpepper Theatre Company is seeking an experienced Executive Director (ED) to work in close collaboration with our Acting Artistic Director and our permanent Artistic Director (AD) to be appointed later this year, as we take this vibrant company into the future.
Soulpepper is looking for leadership that exemplifies its core values of diversity and inclusion, artistic excellence, and strong financial sustainability.
The ED will share responsibility with the AD for the development of a new five-year Strategic Plan with input from artists, staff, a highly engaged Board of Directors, and supportive stakeholders. The ED will be wholly responsible for leading the administrative, financial and general operations of the company. This includes oversight of a skilled senior team, including Finance, Human Resources, Production (jointly with the AD), Marketing, Communications, Development, Government Relations, Community Engagement and overall Administration.
- In partnership with the AD and the Board of Directors, lead the development of a new Strategic Plan, with a compelling vision that inspires and motivates.
- Together with the AD, ensure at least semi-annual evaluation of the Strategic Plan and report to the Board as to progress towards implementation, in addition to regular reporting at every Board meeting.
- Review the administrative and organizational structure and in consultation with the Board, ensure that appropriate human, financial, and operational resources are in place to achieve the plan.
- In close collaboration with the AD and the Board, continue to implement a detailed plan to ensure that Soulpepper becomes best-in-class in workplace safety, mutual respect, communication, and unwavering commitment to diversity and inclusion at all levels.
- Develop and foster the highest standards of creativity, collaboration, and inclusion, as well as fiscal and operational excellence.
- Provide inspirational leadership to staff and volunteers to achieve the goals of the Strategic Plan.
- Act as one of the public faces and voices of Soulpepper; the AD and ED are the primary advocates for the organization.
- In partnership with the AD, Board Chair, and any other appointed individuals, represent Soulpepper with key local, provincial and national government officials, corporate partners, donors, members, patrons, and other relevant sectors including public and private speaking opportunities.
- Represent Soulpepper in its dealings with the Young Centre for the Performing Arts and its partnership with George Brown College, and ensure that lease and operating agreements protect and advance the interests of Soulpepper.
- Establish a strong and respectful working relationship with the Chair and members of the Board of Directors, including its committees.
- Develop an overall financial strategy for the organization in consultation with the AD and the Board that provides funding to advance the strategic plan and the artistic vision.
- Oversee a financial planning process that projects company budgets at least three years forward, and work with the AD to develop artistic programming and attendant budgets that allow artistic risk-taking, development of new work and emerging artists, and strong community engagement, all within a sustainable financial framework.
- Oversee management of annual cash flow, key banking relationships, and capital expenditures, in close collaboration with the Director of Finance and the Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee.
- In conjunction with the Director of Finance and the Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee, prepare appropriate regular financial reporting for Board review.
- Lead fundraising strategies ensuring alignment with the artistic vision and Strategic Plan, while growing long-term, sustainable revenue.
- Refresh and renew Soulpepper’s fundraising relations with government agencies, trusts, and foundations in Canada. Develop and maintain close working relationships with their representatives, staff, and appropriate civil servants.
- Work closely with the Director of Development to cultivate, steward, and develop key donor and sponsor relationships and opportunities.
- Generate and steward relationships with institutional, corporate, and individual funders, including identifying and securing new funding sources and partnerships.
- Lead the development of a comprehensive cultivation plan for donors at all levels, including younger philanthropists, and corporations.
Marketing & Communications
- Provide leadership to the Director of Marketing & Communications to develop refreshed branding for the company and utilize both traditional methods and innovative digital strategies and analytics to reach and engage new audiences.
- Establish and oversee communication protocols internally and externally that both serve Soulpepper’s mandate and work to promote awareness and growth of the organization.
- Lead Soulpepper’s overall strategies to develop audiences and engage in communities as outlined in the Strategic Plan and identify the metrics.
- Provide leadership in developing and implementing a tactical plan to achieve the goals set out to secure budgeted results for subscriptions, and single ticket sales using best practices in all areas to maximize the patron experience.
- A strong track record of inclusive, strategic leadership, collaboration, and team building
- Experience in developing a strategic plan in collaboration with the senior leadership team and Board.
- Deep understanding of the business side of the performing arts, including subscription and single-ticket sales, pricing/scaling tactics, marketing, producing, venue management, and artist and labour relations.
- Demonstrated success in achieving ambitious fundraising growth over a sustained period of time.
- Experience in fundraising with a focus on individual giving, foundations, corporate sponsorships, and government funding.
- Alignment with Soulpepper’s mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrated experience in budgeting and financial forecasting.
- Proven ability to successfully develop and implement short- and long-term business plans.
- Knowledge of theatre activity locally, nationally and internationally is an asset.
- Excellent skills in managing stakeholder relationships.
- Experience in the development of effective strategies and tactics to ensure a continuous drive for diversity, equity, inclusion, and mutual respect throughout the organization.
- Experience in best-in-class workplace safety matters.
- Experience in leading workplace change management initiatives.
- Demonstrated success in profound change management is an ideal asset.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills. Ability to speak and write persuasively and serve as a spokesperson for the company.
- Demonstrated experience working with, and reporting to, a senior-level, highly-engaged Board of Directors.
- Strong organizational management skills: detail-oriented, strategic, creative, entrepreneurial and disciplined.
- Strong interpersonal skills: unquestioned integrity, demonstrable respect for colleagues and stakeholders, and the ability to build trust through consistently open and honest communication across all levels of the company.
- Demonstrated understanding of and proven commitment to the values of equity, inclusion, and diversity in every facet of the operation and artistic practice of a theatre company.
- Demonstrated commitment in co-leadership; ability to partner with Soulpepper’s AD to support the development and execution of the organization’s artistic vision and goals.
- A highly collaborative consensus builder with the ability to delegate, inspire and manage.
- A strong talent manager who invests in skill building, celebrates success, and is an open and accessible coach and mentor.
- A practical, calm and creative problem solver and strategic thinker, with the ability to react nimbly to the unexpected.
- A creative thinker who supports artistic excellence at the highest level.
A competitive, experienced-based compensation package will be provided.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application by emailing your cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than May 20th, 2018.
Soulpepper Theatre Company is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to reflecting our city’s and country’s diversity. We encourage Canadians of all backgrounds to apply.