Website Just For Laughs
CREATIVE DIRECTOR – COMEDYPRO & COMEDYCON, JUST FOR LAUGHS
Just for Laughs is seeking a Creative Director for our ComedyPRO and ComedyCON events – a rare opportunity to join the Just for Laughs festival team in a permanent, full-time position.
Working closely with the VP of Festivals and President of Just for Laughs, the Creative Director will oversee, grow and develop our flagship properties, ComedyPRO (a large-scale industry conference in Montréal) and ComedyCON (a large-scale fan convention in Toronto). With the support of a dedicated team, this position will oversee all aspects of ComedyPRO and ComedyCON to ensure the events are delivered to high standard of success as well as creating a strategy to grow and develop these properties to their full potential. The successful applicant will have a knowledge of the North American comedy industry as well as previous similar experience in delivering and producing for large scale industry and/or fan-based events. They will possess a strong strategic and creative vision, the ability to lead and motivate a team as well as the ability to multi-task and function in time-sensitive and high-pressured situations. The applicant should be prepared to work long hours.
Duration: This is a full-time position, starting January/February 2022
Location: Montreal, QC (flexible for the right candidate)
Responsibilities include the following, for both ComedyPRO & ComedyCON:
- Possess a vision for growing ComedyPRO to be a leading comedy industry conference and ComedyCON to be a leading comedy fan convention paired with the experience to execute their vision;
- Possess experience in putting together live events, especially conferences and conventions, including experience in booking industry panels, cast panels, in conversations, keynotes, podcasts, pitch panels and more;
- Possess experience in the North American comedy industry with a knowledge of current trends and a passion for the future of the industry;
- With the support of a dedicated team, oversee the planning and operations of ComedyPRO (Montreal) and ComedyCON (Toronto);
- Oversee and contribute to the programming of ComedyPRO (Montreal) and ComedyCON (Toronto) by managing a team of programmers and executing high-level bookings when required;
- Sell B2B sponsorship, branded activations and partnerships for ComedyPRO;
- With the support of the Producer, oversee the marketing and pass sales for ComedyPRO and ComedyCON;
- Oversee the creation and management of the budgets for ComedyPRO and ComedyCON;
- Oversee and produce the Just For Laughs Awards Show, and other special events as part of ComedyPRO;
- Oversee an exhibitor floor, onsite activations, industry and talent cocktails/parties;
- Possess strong skills in producing events with high-level star talent;
- Oversee film programming for all events and festivals. This includes red-carpet premieres, independent films and short films;
- Oversee TV cast panel bookings for all events and festivals;
- Actively stay informed of current trends and markets within the comedy and entertainment businesses, with the ability to apply these to the properties they oversee;
- Possess solid relationships with North American studios, distributors, networks, streaming services, publicists, agents and managers.
As well as everything logically, implicitly, and incidentally related thereto.
The successful candidate will have:
- 5 -10 years of experience in a similar live event and/or arts management context such as fan expos, industry conferences and/or comedy;
- 5+ years of experience in the comedy industry, with knowledge of current trends and a passion for contributing to the North American scene;
- The ability to creatively vision and think strategically in order to grow and develop multiple properties and keep them relevant;
- Strong industry connections throughout North America that will benefit the vision and growth of the ComedyPRO & ComedyCON properties;
- Experience in producing and event operations for large scale festivals and/or events;
- Experience hiring, managing and motivating a team;
- Experience managing a budget of minimum $750,000;
- Bilingualism; English and French is an asset;
- Excellent organization skills with an ability to think proactively and prioritize work;
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and as part of a broader organizational team;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with multiple deadlines;
- Capacity to work long hours, as needed;
- Professionalism, maturity, and sensitivity to confidential information;
- An understanding of the Just For Laughs brand and history;
A genuine love of comedy and a passion for growth and creativity!