The Montreal Just For Laughs Festival, which will celebrate its 37th edition in 2019, is the world’s largest and most prestigious comedy event, welcoming more than 2 million people each summer.
Do you have a love for comedy, the drive to work in the entertainment business, plus a love of organizing and producing? Then we’ve got the job for you! The Just for Laughs Comedy Festival is seeking an enthusiastic, organized, and hard-working individual to oversee our ComedyPRO and ComedyCon events, at our Montreal and Toronto festivals.
As Producer, you will work closely with the VP of Festivals, Senior Director of Creative Development and Brand Partnerships and Director of Operations, to ensure the smooth execution of the ComedyPRO and ComedyCon events at our Montreal and Toronto festivals. As Producer, you are responsible for managing and overseeing all production, marketing, and logistical aspects of the events. The successful applicant will have previous arts and/or conference producing experience, strong organisational and communication skills, and the ability to multi-task and function in time-sensitive and high-pressured situations. The applicant should be prepared to work long hours.
Duration: This is a full-time position, starting June 2019
Location: Montreal, QC
English is essential, bilingualism is an asset.
Responsibilities include the following, for both ComedyPRO & ComedyCon:
- Manage programming timelines and deadlines to ensure everything is booked in a timely manner;
- Manage the event budgets – reporting regularly to the Director of Operations – and ensure all financial procedures are adhered to, including purchase orders, invoicing, etc;
- Create strategic plans when needed by upper management;
- Oversee operations and production of all events, including cocktails and parties;
- Oversee the production teams on execution of events;
- Oversee the execution of all sponsorship activations;
- Cultivate new partnerships to help JFL and JFL42 grow and attract new clients/brands;
- Directly supervise the event administrative teams, as well as onsite event teams, in conjunction with the production company;
- Oversee the hiring, training, and supervision of additional event staff;
- Review all contracts (e.g. artist, sponsorship, barter, etc.) related to anything that is booked for the events, and ensure they’re in place in advance of the events;
- Oversee the production of all films played at the Montreal festival;
- Work with the PR team regarding press needs involving artists, executives, etc., related to the events;
- Work with the marketing team to determine plans for both events, and review all marketing materials, and ensure all marketing deadlines are met;
- Work with the logistics team to ensure all travel, accommodation, and immigration needs for visiting artists, executives, etc., are met;
- Participate in weekly meetings;
- Act as a representative of the events in the wider community; seeking, developing and maintaining partnerships, sponsorships and other important relationships, as appropriate;
As well as everything logically, implicitly, and incidentally related thereto.
The successful candidate will have:
- 5+ years of experience in theatre and/or arts management, including 2+ years working in a festival setting;
- Experience in conference producing and/or event operations is an asset;
- Experience hiring and managing a team;
- Experience managing a budget of minimum $750,000;
- Excellent organization skills with an ability to think proactively and prioritize work;
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and as part of a broader organizational team;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with multiple deadlines;
- Capacity to work long hours, as needed;
- Professionalism, maturity, and sensitivity to confidential information;
- An understanding of the Just For Laughs brand and history;
- A genuine love of comedy and a passion for growth and creativity!
Deadline for applications is Friday, April 26th 2019.
Please send your CV and cover letter to JFLjobs@hahaha.com with your name and the job title in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.