Website Canadian Stage
Dream in High Park (previously known as Shakespeare in High Park) launched in 1984 and is one of Canada’s largest and longest running outdoor theatre and performance events, taking place at the picturesque High Park Amphitheatre and annually welcoming 30,000-40,000 audience members to the park each year.
In past years, the program ran from July to early September. Beginning in 2021, Canadian Stage is embarking on a significant transformation of Dream in High Park, one that will revitalize and diversify the offerings for artists and audiences and will expand programming length to a longer program.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the High Park Operations Manager will oversee the planning and execution of all site logistics related to the organizations at Canadian Stage’s High Park Amphitheatre programming (Toronto)including but not limited to patron services, operations’ staffing and close collaboration with production, technical and ticketing leadership. This role effectively and efficiently manages the development and directions of the on-site logistics and teams, including both staff and volunteers to drive both a superior level of satisfaction among our patrons and other stakeholders and a growth in revenue.
Canadian Stage seeks an experienced festival and/or event operations manager with a demonstrable track record for leading cross-functional teams and event operations during all stages of an event/festival life cycle. We are particularly interested in individuals who have experience in site/operation management for festivals and/or large outdoor events.
The position is a contract position until mid-October 2021.
The position description below reflects the fact that some of the planning for the 2021 Dream in High Park is or will be in place by the position start-date. If the successful candidate’s position is extended beyond October 2021, the Position Description and Duties below may change to reflect a full-year position.
Pre-Opening, in consultation with relevant staff and contractors, review all existing work plans and schedules to ensure that a comprehensive project plan is in place to set up and deliver the Dream 2021 programs in line with timeframes and all parameters set out under the site agreement, municipal and provincial regulations.
This includes familiarizing with and/or reviewing site plans, temporary structures, production and event schedules, guest services requirements, communications, noise management, waste management and traffic management plans.
To the extent that such plans require approval by any government authority, this position will ensure that all such plans are approved in a timely manner.
Project planning and schedules should cover contingencies that may affect the usual scheduling, such as wet weather and back-up plans in the event key personnel are unable to carry out their duties due to illness or unavoidable absence.
Establish the overall ongoing operating plans for smooth and efficient operations of the High Park Amphitheatre operations related to all audience touch-points and services.
Work with the Director of Production and Facilities to ensure the successful delivery of all services required to deliver the site infrastructure and logistic services for all Dream2021 Site Infrastructure elements (structures, tents, toilets, fencing, lighting, signage, site offices, stalls, furniture, and associated labour).
In conjunction with the Technical Director, be the key liaison with the venue/site during the Dream program period on all logistical aspects in relation to the venue and site, including pre-Festival site inductions for other site users and partners.
Develop and implement strategies for creating or improving processes and procedures to ensure volunteer and staff attains a high level of excellence including an up-datable operations manual
Ensure that objectives are met, and that corrective action is taken when necessary.
Meet regularly with department heads or business unit leaders and facilitate the resolution of day-to-day problems on site.
Post-Program, create and submit a report on the performance of operations, safety, site and personnel, and make any recommendations for changes.
Manage and resolve all escalated customer enquiries and complaints with respect and consideration of all involved.
Oversee inventory management and financial reconciliations for onsite food and beverage concessions.
Responsible for the management, scheduling, training and performance management of site supervisors and other hourly and/or seasonal operations employees and volunteers
Ensure that personnel attain quality and service standards established by the organization.
Oversee and ensure all relevant onboarding and briefings for staff and volunteers are developed, scheduled, organized and delivered.
Where required, oversee the completion of work provided by external contractors.
Safety and Risk Management and Compliance
· Work closely with Management, Covid-19 safety officer and Covid-19 safety experts to develop and implement site and event operation plans that prioritize safety and efficiency
· Ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations including but not limited to workplace health and safety, Covid-19 and related Public Health requirements, accessibility, park and environmental protections, and other legislated elements of site management.
· Work with team to plan and execute egress and access plans that maximize safety and comfort of patrons, guests and staff.
· Ensures operations are consistent with the permit license from the City of Toronto
· Work collaboratively with the Production and Technical personnel in relation to emergency management on the High Park Amphitheatre site
· Perform the role of Lead Warden in the event of emergencies.
· Ensure that all reporting employees and volunteers adhere to company policies and procedures.
· Post-events, review all incident reports, records and feedback to ensure that the site’s risk management and safety policies and procedures are updated and reflect best-practices for subsequent summers.
Financial and KPI Management
· High Park operations budget preparation and monthly financial assessments to ensure operation within budget parameters.
· Update resources and processes to improve customer service.
· Enhance or create policies, procedures, and service systems to support the goals established for High Park operations.
· Examine reports (e.g., inventory, sales and daily reports) to understand operational activities at the park and to recommend improvements to maximize performance.
· Minimum of 5+ years of management experience in an arts or entertainment environment. Festival and/or large-scale outdoor event experience is essential.
· Demonstrable experience in emergency management, work health & safety policies and procedures.
· Some experience in budget management or coordination.
· Experience with personnel and volunteer management is essential.
· Ability to identify key issues and finding solutions to overcome them.
· An intermediate to advance knowledge of computer skills needed for the role, primarily Excel and the Microsoft Office Suite.
· Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
· The ability to remain affable and calm within a fast-paced and changeable environment.
Specialized Working Conditions
· Most work hours will take place in late afternoons / evenings and on weekends.
· Manual dexterity required to use computer and peripherals.
· Ability to stand for long periods of time.
· Ability to work outside in variable weather conditions from spring to fall.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.