Website Canadian Stage Company
POSITION TITLE: Manager of Special Events
STATUS: Full-time Permanent
START DATE: April or May 2019
Canadian Stage, one of Canada’s leading professional non-profit theatres, is searching for a full time Manager of Special Events to join our team. The Manager of Special Events supports donor stewardship and resource development, as well as some programmatic and community events, by planning and managing a wide array of events and initiatives at Canadian Stage, including but not limited to fundraising events, an annual gala, opening nights, donor receptions, corporate sponsor events and more.
The Manager of Special Events will create, plan and deliver an extensive programme of events in support of our membership and fundraising strategy. Our events are a key element in building relationships with potential and existing donors and members (individual and corporate) and recognizing their support. The events play an important role in ensuring that supporters continue to feel motivated and engaged with Canadian Stage.
The Manager of Special Events works with a spectrum of stakeholders: with our highest-level supporters, board of directors, artists, colleagues in many departments and on all levels to achieve the best possible supporter experience. They work particularly closely with an array of events and catering vendors/suppliers.
The successful candidate will have experience of managing events and strong project management skills. They will have excellent organizational and communication skills and the ability to work on their own initiative as well as in a team. They will be used to working in a fast-paced environment, to managing multiple events simultaneously, and have a positive attitude. Candidates with experience working with or for not-for-profit clients, particularly in the cultural sector, are preferred.
This is a permanent and full-time employment position. The position includes participation in Canadian Stage’s extended health benefits package as well as RRSP package.
· Coordinate with staff to manage event front of house and production needs (logistics, deliveries, rentals, food & beverage, audio/visual, security, lighting, and any other vendors as needed) for 25+ plus events a year, including the Annual Gala
· Tracking event information: booking contributions, ticket orders, event RSVPs, event promotions and communication
· Manage ticketing and seating for all dinners and performances
· Coordinate with stakeholders to build and pull invitation lists from database
· Work with Graphics Designer to create copy for invitations and collateral for Opening Nights, dinners, receptions, benefits and ad hoc cultivation events
· Work with internal and external staff on all event preparation including, but not limited to, creating placecards, seating, communication to attendees, front of house and other onsite staffing, check-in, etc.
· Provide onsite support at events including: greet and seat guests at check-in, set up, and event breakdown, troubleshooting, etc
· Managing the tracking event expenses and budgets; create and process vendor invoices
· Update events calendar and distribute event information to Development department and stakeholders
· Oversee the execution of the acknowledgement process and pledge payment follow up for Annual Gala and all other fundraising events
· Working with volunteer event committees as may be applicable, such as the gala committee
· Oversee invitation mailings and other administrative duties
· Serve as a point of contact for donors of all levels by providing event information for them through phone and email
· Assist Canadian Stage partner companies with their special events, as an advisor and connection to preferred vendors
· A minimum of 5+ years experience with fundraising event management and/or event planning, ideally with demonstrated success in a similar role
· Highly motivated and self-driven with a demonstrable project management instinct and aptitude
· Familiarity with fundraising or event management database/software is a strong asset
· Proficient in computer programs: Word, Excel, Outlook.
· Ability to work well under pressure, independently and as part of a team
· Strong verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to listen effectively and reflectively to stakeholders/clients
· Able to work efficiently in fast paced environment and handle stress effectively
· A post secondary education in sales or hospitality would be an asset but is not required
· This position is full time with flexible hours
Founded in 1987, Canadian Stage is one of the country’s leading not-for-profit contemporary performing arts organizations. The company produces, presents, commissions, and collaborates with multiple partners on cross-disciplinary work with a focus on performance styles that integrate theatre, dance, film, visual arts and more. Sharing innovative and vibrant performance work from Canada and around the world, the company stages an annual season at three Toronto venues (The Bluma Appel Theatre at TOLive; The Berkeley Street Theatre; and the High Park Amphitheatre), in addition to running a series of artist training through our MFA in Theatre Stage Direction in collaboration with York University, RBC Emerging Artist Program, and TD Programs, Canadian Stage has established a distinct place within the national cultural landscape. Operating in the culturally vibrant downtown east end of Toronto, Canadian Stage is a home for new, challenging dynamic art forms, as well as an incubator and exporter of leading edge contemporary and multidisciplinary activity. For more information, visit www.canadianstage.com
Submit a letter of interest and CV to Lisa Traini, by Friday, March 22 via email: email@example.com. Please note “CS Manager, Special Events” as the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please.
We thank everyone who applies, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are considered confidential. Canadian Stage welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.