Cahoots Theatre is a home for artists from the edge. Working with artists of colour, Deaf artists, queer artists, and other marginalized groups, Cahoots seeks, develops, produces and presents works that refocus the spotlight, empowers artists and engages diverse communities.
Cahoots is seeking a Development Officer to lead fundraising initiatives, with a focus on growing relationships and revenue with foundations and corporate sponsors.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Development Officer will identify, plan and implement revenue generation strategies for fundraising priorities within the $5-25K level, consistent with overall revenue generation and campaign plans. Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Build and steward philanthropic relations with individuals, foundations and corporations in the communities served by the theatre, to contribute to achievement of fundraising targets;
- Identify and execute prospect strategies for solicitation of donors at the $5-25K level as well as special appeals and third party opportunities;
- Develop foundation proposals, sponsorship packages and other solicitation documents, as required, including case statements, call plans, and briefing notes to secure contributions;
- Strategize, coordinate and execute plans to move donors through the various stages of gift consideration and towards a contribution of significant support for Cahoots;
- Provide regular briefings on assigned areas of campaigns and other fundraising projects;
- Develop and manage a prospect pool based on fundraising priorities and projects;
- Communicate regularly with General Manager and other staff members to coordinate the management of prospects and to ensure the prospect pipeline is utilized for fundraising success;
- Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of Cahoots’ fundraising priorities and needs in order to match the interests and needs of prospective donors with the strategic needs of the company.
- Three years’ experience of professional major gift / campaign fundraising in the arts;
- Experience in prospect identification, qualification, cultivation and solicitation strategies;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with advancement programs and giving vehicles, including major gift cultivation initiatives, donor recognition and stewardship events, donor marketing and communications;
- Demonstrated ability in building philanthropic relations and closing gifts with individuals, foundations and corporations;
- Experience in proposal writing and drafting gift agreements;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated ability with problem-solving, analysis and displaying creativity;
- Demonstrated evidence of integrity, honesty, tact and discretion;
- Advanced computer skills with demonstrated knowledge in Microsoft Suite (Word / Excel) and donor databases, preferably Sumac;
- Professional communication skills (visual, verbal, public speaking and written).
This is a 10-week contract from August 27 to November 2, 2018 with flexible hours.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit by email a single file (PDF or Word format), titled with the format LastName_FirstName.pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org. This single document should include a cover letter, CV or resume, and two professional references. Submit your application with the email subject “Development Officer.”
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. All applications are considered confidential.
Cahoots supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. Cahoots is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and workplace. If you are contacted to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please advise the interview coordinator of any accommodations needed with respect to any materials or processes used to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Alternate formats will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and selection process.