Website Black Theatre Workshop
Black Theatre Workshop is Canada’s oldest Black theatre company and is committed to reflecting Black culture and community by developing and providing visibility for Black Canadian artists. Black Theatre Workshop is an award-winning English- speaking theatre company based in Montreal, Quebec.
Black Theatre Workshop (BTW) is currently seeking an Artistic Director to build on its 50-year history of artistic growth and success. In partnership with the Managing Director, the Artistic Director serves as co-leader of the organization planning and overseeing creative operations of the company, as well as securing resources required to accomplish strategic objectives.
BTW is a ground-breaking theatre company committed to showcasing and fostering Black Canadian artists, inspiring dialogue and broadening understanding across the country. BTW is Canada’s longest running theatre company dedicated to the works of Black and diasporic communities. Its mission is to promote and produce outstanding theatre that educates, entertains and inspires. The company strives to create greater cross-cultural understanding by expanding the representation of Black Canadian artists.
Currently BTW produces one to two mainstage productions per year, as well as a touring production during Black History Month. Other related activities include a theatre training program, a play reading series, various smaller events and fundraisers.
Responsibilities of the Artistic Director
Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the Artistic Director is responsible for providing the artistic direction required to successfully support BTW’s production objectives. The Artistic Director will establish and maintain the highest artistic standards for the company and will strive to provide the artistic and cultural link between the organization and the community.
The Artistic Director is responsible for the execution of activities in the following areas:
- Artistic Direction
- Artistic Personnel Management
- Public Relations and Marketing
- Funding and Fundraising
- Personal Professional Development
- Liaison with the Board
Qualifications and key competencies
- Artistic leadership experience in a non-profit organization is a valuable and desired asset
- Successful track record of stage productions
- Proven aptitude for strategy development and planning
- Experience leading, empowering and mentoring creative teams
- Strong collaborative decision-making abilities
- Solid knowledge of the local and national theatre landscape
- Sound knowledge of production and budgeting processes, management principles
- Experience with both marketing and fundraising
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; professional fluency in French required
Traits and characteristics
- Ability to develop and articulate a strong artistic vision aligned with the distinct mandate of BTW
- Foresight to envision and champion new ideas and concepts
- Capability to nurture a safe environment for artists with diverse voices and lived experiences
- Enthusiasm for public speaking and a genuine desire to connect closely with patrons, donors and sponsors
- Confident and outgoing personality
- Relationship builder
- Respect for confidentiality
- Exceptional interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
Black Theatre Workshop is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage applications from all qualified applicants.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest and resume including salary expectation, on or before Friday, 14 January 2022 to the Hiring Committee via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.