Website Arts Club Theatre Company
The Arts Club produces on 3 stages year round and tours.
The Arts Club Theatre Company is currently accepting applications for the position of Technical Director – Production Shop. The fully equipped production facility is located on Granville Island and has carpentry, paint, and props departments with regular and casual employees operating under an I.A.T.S.E. 118 Collective Agreement.
Reporting to the Director of Production, the Technical Director – Production Shop will be part of the production management team and responsible for supervision and direction of the production shop and all aspects of pre-production as related to set, props, paint, design & build/implementation. They will work together with the production management team in developing solutions for the in-house produced show designs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Liaise with Production Management Team, Stage Managers, Designers and Shop Department Heads.
· Manage workflow for all CAD drawings related to scenic builds and/or special effects
Provide drafting for carpenters in proper scale in combination with Designers
Make and publish any adjustments to CAD plans as required during the course of the build, and keep all relevant parties updated
Construction drawings for specific builds as required
· Develop, in conjunction with production management team, technical concepts, equipment needs, staff requirements and schedules for the builds of the individual shows
· In conjunction with production management team, evaluate practicality of concepts, solve technical and artistic problems
· Work with Technical Directors to ensure smooth load in processes for all productions
· Research, and propose solutions for special effects challenges, including but not limited to; wireless dimming, special lighting effects and built in prop electrics, scenic automation, motor control, transfer of live loads, computing solutions (ArtNET, RDM, etc.), required for individual productions.
· Prepare estimates and monitor spending within the assigned budgets.
· Supervise the implementation of approved technical designs for set, scenic art, and props.
· Assist the Head of Wardrobe with special costume needs and costume shop overhead projects
· Source and procure tools, equipment and materials focusing on financial and operational efficiency
· Contribute to the development of production schedules and attend or lead production meetings
· Supervise production staff in all relevant areas; provide direction, training, support and evaluation
· Ensure proper use and maintenance of facilities, tools and equipment
· Make recommendations regarding capital purchases
· Assist with occupational safety and health
· Assist with the supervision and contracting of shop rentals
· Other duties as required
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
The successful applicant will have thorough experience and knowledge in all aspects of set construction and decoration and be familiar with production techniques and staging principles. He/she will have a degree in technical theatre (or equivalent experience) including set construction / structural integrity and a thorough knowledge in the use of relevant computer programs (usual MS Office applications), especially Vectorworks.
The Technical Director – Production Shop will be self- motivated, reliable and responsible and possess good organizational and time management skills. He/she will have excellent communication skills and the ability to maintain a positive attitude in stressful situations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
A minimum of three years’ experience as a Technical Director or several years’ experience in a managerial position in set construction workshops and related stage experience is required.
Preference will be given to persons who have experience working within IATSE collective agreements and union workplaces.
Preference will be given to persons holding additional certificates for any or all of the following;
Supervisor Safety, WHMIS, and First Aid.
A valid B.C. driver’s license is essential.
Start date: January, 2022
Salary: $60,000 annual plus benefits, after 3 months.
Employment Type: Full Time
To Apply: Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: December 17, 2021
We thank all who express interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Arts Club is fiercely dedicated to being an organization that continually respects, champions, and uplifts underrepresented voices in all jobs; and we strongly welcome and encourage those who self-identify as coming from underrepresented communities to submit.
Access and inclusion are deeply important to us. For those who have barriers to access to any part of our process as laid out, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us and we will happily work with you to create a process that is accessible to you.