Website Arts Club Theatre Company
The Arts Club produces on 3 stages year round and tours.
The Arts Club creates our work on the shared ancestral, traditional, and unceded territories of the Coast Salish peoples, in particular the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), səl’ilwətaɁɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) and xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) Nations. This awareness informs our work.
The Arts Club Theatre Company leads in developing and producing live theatre in BC. Our mission is to inspire and nurture artists and audiences through diverse cultural experiences that are engaging, thought-provoking, and artistically innovative. We have a history—and a future—of never being content with the status quo and always striving forward, from our founding to today.
The Arts Club operates under the dual leadership model, with the Artistic Director (Ashlie Corcoran) and Executive Director (Peter Cathie White) reporting equally to the Board. Our co-leaders have high-level oversight over the multitude of performances, engagement activities, and patron stewardship efforts we engage in throughout each season. Our multidisciplinary artists and staff work closely to achieve shared goals. In the 2018/19 season, over 650 employees—including 397 artists, directors, designers, stage managers, and 176 production staff—worked on 18 productions and offered many engagement programs.
MISSION AND VISION
We envision a community that, through storytelling, is inspired to reflect on who we are and who we can be. The Arts Club leads in developing and producing live theatre in B.C. We inspire and nurture artists and audiences through diverse cultural experiences that are engaging, thought-provoking, and artistically innovative. The Arts Club’s values are deeply rooted in our sense of place. We believe that cultivating and engaging local artists to tell stories enlivened by our shared experiences strengthen us and our community. Along with an eclectic mix of impactful theatre centered on the highest standards of theatre professionalism, an eye to innovation, and a belief in challenging the status quo, our entrepreneurial spirit leads us into the future.
PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
The Arts Club Theatre Company fosters and supports a vivid local identity through the hiring and support of local talent on and offstage. We are committed to inspiring and nurturing artists and audiences through diverse cultural experiences that are engaging, thought-provoking, and artistically innovative.
The Arts Club operates and programs three venues: the 600-seat Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage, the 450-seat Granville Island Stage, the 250-seat Newmont Stage. The theatres and the production shops operate under an agreement with IATSE Local 118.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The Arts Club is fiercely dedicated to being an organization that continually respects, champions, and uplifts underrepresented voices in all jobs; and we strongly welcome and encourage those who self-identify as coming from underrepresented communities to submit.
Access and inclusion are deeply important to us. For those who have barriers to access to any part of our process as laid out, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us and we will happily work with you to create a process that is accessible to you.
DIRECTOR OF PRODUCTION
The Arts Club seeks a talented, dynamic and energetic Director of Production to join its senior management team. Reporting to the Artistic Director, the Director of Production is a full-time, year-round & permanent role. The Director of Production’s main focus is to bring artists’ visions to life on our stages. The Director of Production manages the production department in the mounting and operating of all theatre productions and ensures that the process of doing so is both welcoming and respectful.
• Artistic Director
• Production Management Team
• Executive Director
• Production Department Heads and Production Administrator
• Senior Leadership Team
• Artistic Department Team
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Oversees all production department operations in support of Arts Club’s artistic vision and excellence
· Collaborates with other senior leaders on envisioning and executing organization’s strategic plan, including long range planning for facilities
· Manages a full-time production staff in addition to seasonal and over hire employees
· Participates in the recruitment, hiring and supervision of full-time employees
· Collaborates with senior leaders, the production management team, and departments heads on season and show schedules planning
· Prepares production, operating, and capital budgets for the production department
· Coordinates the flow of information among artistic, administrative and production staff
· Directly supervises Production Management team (Technical Directors, Pre-Production Manager, Facilities Manager, Resident Designer) and Stage Management teams; hire, provide direction, training, support and evaluation
· Indirectly supervises Production staff and Assistant Stage Management staff
· Oversees the hiring of designers and production department positions
· Participates in production meetings as needed
· Oversees production and overhead purchasing – through the Production Administrator, tracks all production expenses to ensure they remain within the budget
· Coordinates with Finance Department on all production expenditures including production staff salaries and benefits
· Provides insight and interpretation of agreements with IATSE, CAEA, ADC and VMA
· Acts as a member of the negotiating committee for collective bargaining with IATSE; deals with issues arising from the IATSE contract
· Oversight of building maintenance and renovations, venue rentals and use, maintenance and acquisition of company’s equipment including vehicles
· Oversight of warehouse storage and for storage of all production materials
· Provides reliable and safe working conditions for all production staff, artists and audience; oversees the H&S policy implementation in conjunction with the Joint Health & Safety Committee
These duties and responsibilities are not exhaustive and are subject to review in conjunction with the post holder and supervisor and according to future changes/developments.
· Strong leadership skills, with an ability to lead a team with transparency and candor
· Ability to coach, mentor and empower others to succeed, while ensuring accountability
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Sound creative judgment, excellent problem-solving skills and attentiveness to detail
· Excellent time management skills, including managing a high volume of work and attending to numerous projects concurrently
· Ability to work under pressure and adapt to changing priorities
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· 5 years experience of professional technical theatre leadership
· Extensive knowledge of staging, production techniques and theatre equipment, solid organisational understanding of all areas of theatre production
· Proven track record of providing appropriate production support through staff, resources and organisation to achieve high-quality productions
· Expertise in managing production facilities: theatres and production shops, construction and maintenance projects
· Strong commitment to current best Health and Safety practices
· Post-secondary industry-relevant degree considered an asset
· Experience with contract negotiation, execution and compliance; specific experience with IATSE 118, Canadian Actors’ Equity Association, the Canadian Theatre Agreement, and Associated Designers of Canada are considered assets
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
· Proven proficiency with budgeting in all production disciplines and financial tracking
· Strong command of MS Office; proficiency in Vectorworks, Propared, QLab and ETC Ion considered an asset.
The candidate must be available to work extended work hours at times, including nights and weekends.
Start date: Flexible start date from Mid August to Mid September
Salary: $89,000-$92,000, including a benefit plan (after 3 months)
Employment Type: Full time employee, permanent
To Apply: Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: June 30, 2021
We thank all who express interest in this position; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.