Welcome to Industry News, a new blog series sharing what’s happening in Canadian theatre and the wider arts community. Each week we’ll share news we’ve come across as well as events, calls for nominations and submissions, and professional development opportunities.
Have something to share? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll include it here.
Mermaid Institute of Puppetry Arts Animotion (VIII) Puppetry Intensive (April 24 – May 12, 2017)
The Mermaid Institute of Puppetry Arts was established to offer specialized training for theatre artists who seek enhanced professional-level skills, and also to provide youngsters and community participants with basic instruction in the art of puppetry. Based at Mermaid’s spacious headquarters in Windsor, Nova Scotia, the Institute’s three-week ANIMOTION intensive is designed for those with a strong interest in puppetry and physical theatre and the desire to expand their range of abilities.
Cahoots Theatre’s 30 for 30
Cahoots Theatre invites you to celebrate their 30th season by honouring 30 Cahoots theatremakers who we consider the future, and who they think will shape the next 30 years of Canadian theatre.
National Arts Centre – National Creation Fund
Last December, the National Arts Centre announced the National Creation Fund to support the creation of new Canadian work in theatre, dance and music. This Fund will invest $3 million a year in 15 to 20 compelling and ambitious new works that have strong artistic teams and strong producing partners, and that are likely to have national and international impact. Initial details may be found on our website at nac-cna.ca/creationfund. The Fund will open on November 1st, 2017, and will begin receiving proposals at that time. More information about the submission process will be available on our website at the end of March.
Vertigo Theatre Announces Y Stage Theatre Series to End Following Current Season
Vertigo Theatre Society announced that the Y Stage Theatre Series will be discontinued following the end of its current season. Founded in 2003, the Y Stage Theatre Series has presented theatre for young audiences from companies across Canada and abroad to children aged 3 and up.
What’s Happening in the Wider Community
- The Gina Wilkinson Prize Committee is pleased to announce that Kimberley Rampersad of Winnipeg, Manitoba is the recipient of the sixth annual Gina Wilkinson Prize for an Emerging Female Director.
- Storefront Fringe Festival is now accepting applications for its 2017 Festival running June 23- July 1. Applications due March 13.
- Early Bird Registration is now open for the next Canadian Arts Marketing, Development and Ticketing Conference.
- Modern Times Stage Company announces Beyond Representation (April 9-11), a three-day symposium that moves the conversation about cultural diversity in the theatre beyond issues of representation, identity politics, and “tolerance” to examine how diverse cultures can actively, productively, and creatively come together in theatrical practices that issue in exciting and challenging new theatrical forms. PACT is a major partner of this event.
- Submissions for Contact East 2017 are now open, happening September 21 to 24, 2017 in Membertou, Nova Scotia.
- The Banff Centre has announced the 2017 playwrights colony participants.