Welcome to Industry News, a new blog series sharing what’s happening in Canadian theatre and the wider arts community. Each week we’ll share news we’ve come across as well as events, calls for nominations and submissions, and professional development opportunities.
Because the PACT office will be closed on Friday, April 14 we’re sharing this week’s Industry News a day early, on Thursday April 13.
Have something to share? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll include it here.
A total of $50,000 will be given to Canadian creators this year. Funding is available up to $6,000 for early-stage research and incubation and up to $15,000 for mid-stage or continued development. This new funding for musical development aligns with the announcement of the inaugural Charlottetown Festival Theatre Conference, celebrating new works, taking place September 5 – 9 at the Centre.
What’s Happening in the Wider Community
- The Metcalf Foundation has launched a new program for professional development.
- The Department of Canadian Heritage has announces a Canada-wide search for two individuals to be nominated by Minister Mélanie Joly to the Canada Media Fund Corporation’s Board of Directors.
- The Canada Council for the Arts is currently searching to fill two theatre-related positions: Associate Program Officer (Arts Granting Programs) and Program Officer (Arts Granting Programs).
- Minister Joly has announced the appointment of eight part-time members to the Board of Directors of the Canada Council for the Arts.
- ArtsVote BC has organized a letter writing campaign and an all-candidates meeting in advance of the upcoming provincial election.