Welcome to Industry News, a new blog series sharing what’s happening in Canadian theatre and the wider arts community. Each week we’ll share news we’ve come across as well as events, calls for nominations and submissions, and professional development opportunities.
Have something to share? Send it to email@example.com and we’ll include it here.
The Ontario provincial government has announced a $20-million grant for the Stratford Festival, which will go towards helping rebuild the Tom Patterson Theatre.
The deadline has been extended for Crow’s Theatre’s RBC Rising Star Emerging Director Prize – it is now Friday, June 2nd. The prize is designed to encourage and celebrate our most outstanding early-career directors, as well as to provide them a forum to practice their craft with professionals in a safe environment.
What’s Happening in the Wider Community
- A full list of recipients of New Chapter funding from the Canada Council for the Arts has been released.
- The Prismatic Festival has announced programming for their 2017 event, happening September 14-23.
- Access Activators (organized by the British Council in Canada) will host a relaxed performance (RP) training program in Toronto.
- From Vancouver’s The Straight – Arts Club Theatre’s search for new leadership prompts debate.
- The Jessies have announced the nominations for the 2017 Jessie awards.
- TAPA, the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts, has announced the nominations for this year’s Dora awards.
- The GVPTA, the Greater Vancouver Professional Theatre Alliance, has announced speakers and programming for their 2017 Making a Scene conference.
- The Toronto Arts Foundation awarded this year’s Margo Bindhardt and Rita Davies Award to Jacoba Knappen.
- Well-known Newfoundland actress Janet Edmonds, known for her roles as Lady Macbeth and in films and television, has died.