Welcome to Industry News, a blog series sharing what’s happening in Canadian theatre and the wider arts community. Each week we’ll share news we’ve come across as well as events, calls for nominations and submissions, and professional development opportunities.
Have something to share? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll include it here.
Are you a PACT member company with news to share? Email it to email@example.com and we’ll include it here.
What’s Happening in the Wider Community
- Monday, March 20 was World Day of Theatre for Children and Young People. ASSITEJ International commissioned a message and ASSITEJ Canada’s Stephen Colella also wrote something for the PACT Blog to celebrate the day.
- Tuesday, March 21 was World Puppetry Day, which UNIMA promotes as part of World Performance Week.
- Monday, March 27 is World Theatre Day! We invite you to read both the Canadian message and the international message to celebrate.
- The Canada Council has released further information on their recently announced Arts in a Digital World fund.
- The National Theatre School has announced an ambitious new suite of programming, including new training programs for theatre professionals.
- The board of the Magnetic North Theatre Festival announced this week that the 2017 festival would be cancelled. Shortly after that news broke that the festival was shutting down completely.
- TAPA’s Dora Ancillary Award Nominations are due April 1 – awards include the The Silver Ticket Award, The George Luscombe Awards for Mentorship, and The Leonard McHardy & John Harvey Award for Leadership in Administration.
- Saskatchewan’s 2017 – 2018 Provincial Budget brings cuts to various arts and cultural initiatives and organizations.
- Regina’s Curtain Razors recently opened its first major production with Joey Tremblay at the helm, two years after the passing of former Artistic Director Michele Sereda.