Welcome to Industry News, a new blog series sharing what’s happening in Canadian theatre and the wider arts community. Each week we’ll share news we’ve come across as well as events, calls for nominations and submissions, and professional development opportunities.
Have something to share? Send it to email@example.com and we’ll include it here.
The Theatre Centre (Toronto ON) has issued a call for Residency Artists. Residency is a two-year program designed to support artists in developing new work. The program is tailored to the specific needs of each participating artist or collective, and the artistic impulse or idea they wish to explore.
Artistic Director Emeritus Christopher Newton’s contributions to the Shaw Festival and Canadian theatre at large would be recognized through the newly created Christopher Newton Interns program.
What’s Happening in the Wider Community
- Stage Left Productions is hosting a Theatre of the Oppressed workshop in Calgary August 21-25.
- The LMDA (Literary Managers and Dramaturgs of the Americas) is currently accepting applications for it’s Bly Creative Fellowship and Bly Creative Capacity Grant programs. The deadline to apply is September 15, 2107.
- The Banff Centre has renamed it’s Playwrights Colony to the Playwright’s Lab.
- National Theatre School of Canada is searching for two emerging artistic leaders who are working to become Artistic Directors at institutional performing arts organizations for a one-year, intensive preparatory program.
- The new Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture for British Columbia, Lisa Beare, has received her mandate letter.
- Associated Designers of Canada has moved offices. Their new mailing address is: 401 Richmond St. West – Suite 350, Toronto, ON M5V 3A8.