Welcome to Industry News, a new blog series sharing what’s happening in Canadian theatre and the wider arts community. Each week we’ll share news we’ve come across as well as events, calls for nominations and submissions, and professional development opportunities.
Have something to share? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll include it here.
Imago Theatre to host a community discussion advocating for safety, responsibility and respect in theatre workspaces
Imago Theatre is hosting a Long Table discussion for Montreal’s English theatre community to advocate for the brave work of creating accountable and respectful theatre workspaces with zero tolerance for bullying, personal and sexual harassment, and abuse of any kind.
Citadel Theatre Commits to New Play Development Through Innovative Program
The Citadel Theatre is pleased to announce the creation of THE LAB, an annual, dedicated, season-long commitment to new play development. Through this program, four playwrights will receive support over the course of a season to explore the writing and creation of a new work suitable for the Citadel stages.
Call for Proposals for Children, Youth and Performance Conference
Young People’s Theatre (Toronto, ON) invites proposals for our Children, Youth and Performance conference, which will be held in Toronto on Sunday, June 24.
What’s Happening at PACT
- The Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) and its members emphatically restate the association’s deep commitment to zero tolerance of harassment and bullying in the workplace.
- PACT is hosting a members-only online webinar on January 26th on conducting workplace investigations of harassment, with guest presenter Todd Weisberg of Shields O’Donnell MacKillop. Registration is still open.
What’s Happening in the Wider Community
- The Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts (TAPA) is hosting a community consultation on gender in the Dora Mavor Moore Awards on January 30th.
- The 2018 conference of the Literary and Dramaturgs of the Americas (LMDA) will take place in Toronto June 21-23 with the theme of “Crossing Borders”.
- Drama at the School of Creative and Performing Arts at the University of Calgary has been selected to host the 5th World Stage Design in August 2021.
- The 2018 ActSafe Event Safety Conference will take place in Burnaby BC February 21-23. The early bird rate has been extended to January 14.
- Arts Reach will host an arts marketing, ticketing and development conference in Toronto June 11-12.
- ArtsBuild Ontario has announced the dates and content for their 2018 Learning Series.
- The BC Alliance for Arts + Culture has announced their 2018 workshops.