Welcome to Industry News, a new blog series sharing what’s happening in Canadian theatre and the wider arts community. Each week we’ll share news we’ve come across as well as events, calls for nominations and submissions, and professional development opportunities.
Have something to share? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll include it here.
Daryl Cloran, Artistic Director of Citadel Theatre (Edmonton AB), extends on the concept of Ubuntu (a Nguni Bantu word describing “humanity toward others”) as something intrinsic to the importance and progress of theater.
What’s Happening at PACT
- PACT is hiring! Applications for the position of Labour Relations Manager will be open until September 22.
- A webinar will take place on September 11 (2:30-4:00pm EDT) where members will be able to hear about the Canada Council’s new digital fund directly from Canada Council staff. Email Meg Shannon if you’re interested in attending.
What’s Happening in the Wider Community
- The BC Alliance for Arts and Culture has a number of workshops coming up this fall.
- Creative Spark Vancouver is taking applications for its emerging artists grants. The deadline to apply is September 15.
- Sears Canada has pulled its funding for the annual Sears Drama Festival.
- The 5th annual Ta Da! Festival will take place September 8-10 in Wakefield, QC.
- The Chinese company Grand Boat Culture is currently seeking shows for a young audience (3 to 9 years old) in theatre, dance, music and multidisciplinary arts (in English or with no words) to be presented over a 3 week period between March 2018 and February 2019.
- The 2018 Theatre Olympics will be held at the National School of Drama in New Delhi, India. Proposals for participation will be accepted until September 8th.
- The Government of Ontario is committing $50 million in additional funding to the Ontario Arts Council, increasing provincial funding to the OAC to $80 million annually by 2020-21.
- Aluna Theatre (Toronto ON) has announced programming for their Caminos festival of new works. The festival will take place October 4-8.
- The Banff Playwrights Lab has announced Djanet Sears as our 2018 Playwright in Residence & Jenna Rodgers returning as Associate Dramaturg. Applications are open until September 13th.
- Celebrated Canadian novelist David Adams Richards has been appointed to the Senate, the Prime Minister’s Office said Wednesday.
- The Canada Council for the Arts | Conseil des Arts du Canada’s Digital Strategy Fund guidelines are now available and the portal is open for applications. Deadline to apply is October 25.