Website Vancouver Creative Space Society
Vancouver Creative Space Society (“C-Space”) is seeking an Operations Manager for East Vancouver creative hub Progress Lab 1422.
In 2009, a dream between four kindred theatre organizations was realized when Boca Del Lupo, Electric
Company, Neworld and Rumble opened Progress Lab 1422, a 7,000 ft2 centre for creation and development
in East Vancouver. Guided by a deeply felt spirit of collaboration, community and resource-sharing, PL1422
quickly became a sought-after cultural facility, accommodating not only the tenant companies but external
rentals and partnerships. To support this growth, the Vancouver Creative Space Society (C-Space) was
founded to manage PL1422 and other possible future cultural property development projects in the Lower
Mainland. Now, in 2020, PL1422 remains home to three of the founding companies—Electric Company,
Neworld, and Rumble—while welcoming Company 605, Playwrights Theatre Centre, rice & beans theatre,
Tara Cheyenne Performance and Theatre Conspiracy into the fold. PL1422 continues to be a vital presence in
our community, providing exceptional, readily available and affordable creative space to the theatre industry
and the wider arts sector.
The Operations Manager is a key position at Progress Lab, and offers one-of-a-kind opportunity to contribute
to the Vancouver performance ecology. The Operations Manager works with Progress Lab resident
companies to facilitate the creation of excellent performance work, led by the values of collaboration and
community. In addition to being responsible for leading administrative operations of C-Space, the Operations
Manager provides support to the C-Space Board of Directors and the PL1422 Facility Committee and acts as a
representative of the Society, PL1422, and the resident companies to arts professionals, funding bodies, and
the community at large.
This is your chance! Help shape the future of an important arts creation hub! PL1422 is home to some of
the most exciting and innovative performing arts organizations in Canada and the Operations Manager is a
vital part of our team.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
• Coordination of internal bookings (resident companies) of the PL1422 spaces, including the Studio,
Workshop, and Rumpus Room;
• Coordination of external bookings of the PL1422 spaces, including oversight of tech stock and coordination
of technical staff and volunteers when necessary;
• Management and administration of C-Space financial systems, including budgeting, accounts payable and
• Researching and pursuing granting opportunities for capital projects and sustainable growth of the PL1422
model with support from the Board;
• Coordination of ongoing capital renovations, including supervising work done by outside contractors.
• Oversight of PL1422 facility maintenance, including waste management, janitorial services, supply
purchasing and small repairs. This includes the hiring of tradespeople when necessary;
• Building new administrative systems and helping to shape C-Space processes in collaboration with the
Board and Facility Committee as C-Space and PL1422 grow and shift;
• Liaising between resident companies and the board; organizing and facilitating board meetings;
• Attendance at and documentation of minutes and action items at C-Space and PL1422 Facility Committee
• Keeping accurate records for C-Space, including basic website management and facility usage stats;
• Facilitating and managing special projects as capacity allows – for example, a PL1422 residency program;
• Finding and implementing ways to improve PL1422, to make it more awesome.
Working conditions and environment:
• The Operations Manager will be engaged as an independent contractor on a one-year renewable contract.
• The Operations Manager will be provided administrative work space in the office of Electric Company and
rice & beans theatre, and is asked to provide their own computer.
• The Operations Manager works on a flexible, self-directed schedule, responding to the needs of C-Space
and PL1422. While flexible in nature, an estimated 50 hours per month (approximately 1.5 days per week)
• Compensation shall be a part-time salary of $16 000 – $18 000 per year, commensurate with experience.
The C-Space board’s intention for this position in future is that it expands to a full-time salaried position to
support our growing community.
• 3-5 years of experience in facility management, arts administration, or an equivalent combination of
education and experience;
• Excellent communication and organizational skills;
• Familiarity with many aspects of stagecraft, with a demonstrated ability to acquire new skills;
• Motivated self-starter;
• Willing to work a flexible schedule including weekends, evenings and holidays when required;
• Demonstrated professional experience in production or event management;
• Experience with accounting and bookkeeping;
• Success in writing or supporting in the writing of grants, including capital funding streams;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel); basic HTML; scheduling software Skedda; accounting
• Access to personal vehicle;
• Comfortable with physical work (lifting, working on ladders, minor construction projects).
The successful candidate will ideally be available to start in this position by March or April 2020. Alternate
start dates may be negotiated. Interested candidates are invited to submit cover letter and resumé in
confidence by 5 P.M. February 7, 2020 to email@example.com, subject: PL1422 Operations Manager Position.
Vancouver Creative Space Society is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination
in employment on any basis including race, ethnicity, indigeneity, gender, gender
identification, sexual orientation, class, and physical ability. Candidates are encouraged to self-identify.
Unfortunately, a portion of our offices are on the second floor of Progress Lab 1422, and are not currently
Thank-you for your interest. Only candidates advancing in the process will be contacted. No
telephone or walk-in inquiries please. All applications are treated confidentially.
The PL1422 Operations Manager Hiring Committee
Sandra Henderson, Neworld Theatre
Matt Moreau, Neworld Theatre
Kellee Ngan, Rumble Theatre
Melanie Yeats, Playwrights Theatre Centre